Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2022, 08:28 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

* sigh *

Confession: that barrel a few posts ago? The one I used to test crosshair subtensions? It's not 1m wide. It's 80cm wide. I assumed NL reskinned the barrel from DFBHD, which actually is 1m wide, but it's a new, smaller asset.

All the crosshairs I tested with it are wrong. Explains why the subtensions I mathed up were off.

Lesson: assume nothing in these games. You'll waste so much more time correcting mistakes based on assumptions than you ever will confirming them.

I redrew the P4L2BE. It looks great tested at 1280×720 and 1920×1080, both at maximum and minimal texture compression. I'll assume other resolutions and settings are okay 'cause I'm not smart with my own lessons, and my time may be marginally limited, but my patience is short.

I tested an idea with the MEd/weapon.def problem. DFBHD mods are hard 'cause if there are more than (I may misremember this number) 56 valid weapon.def entries, problems ensue. I thought, they must've fixed that for new games, right? Right?!

Hm.

I opened the weapon.def for the SFOD mod, highlighted everything emplaced and below, CTRL-Xed them out, and saved it. Start the MEd? It opened fine. Open my test map? No problems. Accessed the Weapon Loadouts? Successful.

Conclusion: If your mod has too many weapons, the MEd hates it. I guess that's called a buffer overrun or maybe a stack overflow? Iunno... I'm so tired.

Request to the coders that increased the allowable valid item entry count in the item.def for various mods: perhaps see if something similar can be done for the allowable number of valid weapon.def entries, too?

I have it on very good authority that, ultimately, the answer is: Use more gun. We'd like some extra support on that front.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFODP4L2BElo.jpg (330.3 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 04-03-2022 at 08:45 AM.