Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2022, 06:28 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Working up a thing for the PSG-1 in the SFOD mod.

The conundrum explained:

The PSG-1 is the civilian/police model, and Wikipedia says it's standard with a Hensoldt 6x42 scope. I wanted to work up an authentic looking crosshair, but the best I can google, the 6x42 reticle is a bit meh. The 4x24 looks pretty practical, though, and I drew up something like it.

Due to NeverLogic's thing for three-quarter assing stuff, the magnification is not what they call it. When the HUD says 4x mag., it's not that things look 4x times larger through the scope, it's that they reduced the field of view to 25%. So the default horizontal FOV in NL games, screen edge to screen edge, is 80°, and a NL 4x zoom is 20°. Compare screenshots of something through the 4x and not through the 4x, you'll find 4x is actually 4.77x mag.

By coincidence impossible to account to NL's competence, 5x zoom in NL games is close enough to actual 6x magnification that I'm comfortable stating it baldly: 5x zoom is 6x mag. insofar as, at 5x zoom, things look 6x larger. Savvy?

Now the conundrum: do I mod the PSG-1 to have 6x zoom for 7.15 mag., or do I give it 5x zoom for an authentic 6x mag.? I prefer the latter and drew the horizon divisions accordingly, so at 5x zoom, the space between a tall hash and a short one is man-width at 100m. I like useful designs, you know?

Going with 6x zoom/7.15x mag. would mean redesigning the crosshairs, and I rather not, but I could.

Check out the screenshot attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_PSG1_Reticle.jpg (304.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 02-13-2022 at 04:25 AM.