View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 09:41 PM
atholon is offline atholon
"ath-hole"

Send a message via MSN to atholon
I agree, I hesitate to use any 3rd party stuff. I worry about code maintenance as well as security, since you never know where they have coded backdoors into their "open source" stuff.

I hate the learning curve too. Sometimes it takes a lot longer to learn someone's stuff than to write your own. I think it is good though, to see other's code. I actually learned a lot of my PHP from your Simple Squad Site.

I had been trying to create my own framework also, but I lacked some of the knowledge required and I am doing this project professionally so that means I am not going to be tied to the project once it finishes. I don't want to have to do all the documentation required for a framework. Zend has pretty decent documentation for being an open source framework so I figure if someone doesn't know how to change/update the code they can just refer to Zend's site. I also couldn't come up with a satisfactory way of securing SQL queries efficiently, so I went with Propel (really hope you look into it at least to see how they do stuff and their syntax). It is really simple to use.