Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 01:49 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarmike247 View Post
You probably already know this, but you can use "Flags Inset" (if using irons) to leave your crosshair on screen when you aim down sights.
This I did not know. And it is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarmike247 View Post
I wish there was a way to change the FOV only when aiming down sights. That would look much better.
That's NeverLogic, though, three-quarter-assing it all. Still love 'em, but, you know?

Have look at this bit of foolishness I did today:

This weapon is called the HK416 in the version of the SFOD mod I play around with, but it's the M4 viewmodel. Not really the point I'm poking now. The top of the image is the sights at 3x mag. for auto. The bottom is the sights at 10x mag. for semi. The reticle is my pretty much mathematically 1:1 adaptation of the Trijicon RTR .223 for their TA47-C optic. I took the info in the .pdf they have for download on their site and formula'd a .tga.

I was a bit disappointed when I tested it and all the drops were off, and I was grumbling about whether I should redraw the reticle or tweak the ammo.def entry, 'til I wondered if maybe this reticle shouldn't be zeroed at 200m, not 100m, and let me tell you that my delight is difficult to put in words when the rounds started landing where the reticle said they would. Not even under lab conditons, either, prone with 0.015 error and 4 recoil. The 100m target took a second shot, I've over-trained on 100m zeroes, I guess, and the 200m and 300m drops are just guesswork, but the 400m and 500m drop were single-shot hits, and 600m and 700 took a few extra, but I got there.

Keep in mind, my test range map has the tall practice targets at 100m intervals out to 1000m, but they're only there to make the 20×20cm steam grates I have pitched up 90° and mounted on their 'faces' easier to find. I set a waypoint on each target that advances when you hit the steam grate. Can barely see the 1000m target in the fog, too. So half a magazine to hit a 20×20cm (that's 7 ⅞ × 7 ⅞ freedumbs!) at 700m (7 ⅔ football fields) on an unadjusted reticle with untweaked ammo seems sublime, if I can mince my words just a bit. There's also an easily visible spark when a bullet hits metal in this game.

And I'd guess half of that half magazine was my potato aim, not the reticle.

Also note the flag over the bunker at the left edge of the scope and its position to it in both views. Did a bit of effort to ensure scale was kept consistent. Because of the fun!

This is basically an extreme experiment in the concept of 'extra zoom on semi as "focus,"' and I don't hate it.

I decided on 10x mag. 'cause the dots center, left, and right are supposed to be 2 moa, and I wanted them to be 4px in the targa. It was important to the experiment that the dimensions of the targa be even numbers centered on the four middle pixels (symmetrical) instead of my usual proven method of odd dimensions centered on the lower right middle pixel (asymmetrical), because the reticle graphic is the same on both modes, but the 3x is mounted smaller. Rescaling targas works more balancedly with symmetrical targas.

And I tried this with a 5.56mm (.223 freedumbs) rifle 'cause the SR-25 is 7.62mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg user67642_pic342_1707138865.jpg (116.0 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Scott; 02-07-2024 at 11:14 AM.