Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2023, 08:47 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

DFBHDTS has the problem where red reticles look suboptimal with NVGs turned on, and Condition Zero is the same, so I edited all the red reticles to be green. Also tried some new things.

Screenshot cz762ACOG.jpg: That's my interpretation of the Trijicon 3.5x35 .308 BAC Model TA11J-308 crosshair reticle in green mounted on the G3SG-1. Accurately scaled for the magnification. I did the same for the TA31-CH I had on the SG-550, but I switched it out for:

Screenshot czARCO.jpg: My interpretation of the ACOG-ish reticle of the ARCO scope from ARMA 3. I can't find real world info about this reticle, so I assume it was made up for ARMA 3. I used a screenshot of it from a Karmakut video, measured pixels and mathed them up to get dimensions I didn't just assume (the 500m hash on a BDC is 0.9651999 mrads, but its width in pixels can be accepted as 1 mrad).

Screenshot czScout.jpg: I googled up some info on the Scout and the reticle its scope should have, and there's dozens to choose from, all variations of about 1 MOA thick lines slimming down to about 0.3 MOA lines at the cross which is about 6 MOA wide and high. I did something close to that and added bright green illumination 5 mrads wide, and dim illumination 15 mrads wide ('cause in NL games, 2.5 mrads is a good lead for a target walking perpendicular to your sightline, and 7.5 mrad is good for a running target). You see how it aligns with the 16 HLMU wide air duct 1067 HLMUs away, if you want to check my math. F*** knows, I'd like a confirmation on that.

Screenshot czMildotG.jpg: 'Cause nobody cares about anything but the AWP, I guess.

I was going to do a new German #1 for the Kar-98 in Day of Defeat using the "status" command to get positional info, but "status" doesn't function that way in DoD. "status" displays the same YXZ no matter where you are in the map, and I assume that's where you spawn, or maybe where the camera is positioned in the mission opening cinematic. I dunno.

Edit: I did tweak the point of the center post to be a bit flat at the tip, which I understand is more authentic. Also just noticed I messed up my signature dust, dirt, and scratch layers. Damn.

Edit again: Compare dirt on the two German #1 reticles. I like B better.

Edit final?: Screenshot dod_zalecBino.jpg: I haven't modded the binoculars into my DoD yet, but if I ever do, this (or more likely, some version of this) is the reticle I'm putting on them.

Edit final: Screenshot dod_charlieBino.jpg: I think this one's more accurately scaled. Not confident on how much more accurately scaled it is, but it is. I'm sure the binoculars would have a different magnification than the Kar-98 I mounted this on for testing, but 'til I figure out some way of confirming an object is 100 mrads wide, it's all academic, I'd say.

Edit final, for real: Screenshot dod_charlieBino2.jpg: Wow, were my initial calculations wrong!

The "status" command does function in DoD, but only if you have the tactical map deactivated!

So you see 640 HLMUs away the nearest edge of a 64 HLMU wide tunnel entry. That's 100 mrads. The binocular reticle is as close to that as I can get it. The resolution of the sprite means it's either a bit too wide or a bit too narrow. I did my best. I don't hate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cz762ACOG.jpg (71.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg czARCO.jpg (70.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg czScout.jpg (52.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg czMildotG.jpg (50.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg dod_charlieG1flat.jpg (71.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg dod_charlieG1flatB.jpg (71.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg dod_zalecBino.jpg (90.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg dod_charlieBino.jpg (73.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg dod_charlieBino2.jpg (130.1 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 06-08-2023 at 05:25 PM.