Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2024, 08:30 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

C_DOES did a repew of the Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x24, and I know I have bad impulse control, but I couldn't talk myself out of it, and this happened:

And the stupid thing is that it's in MOA, which is fine, but the drops and rangefinder are in yards, which is not accommodated by the HUD elements in any NL game, or any game I know of. But I was crushing on the font for the numbers, so damn the torpedoes, y'know?

I tried editing the scope to lock at 183m (200 yds), which was functional, but confusing, then I tried editing adjustments in 91m increments, but it was wonky (100 yds is 91.44m, so 91m is too short, 92 is too long, submeter values are invalid, it was a mess) and I couldn't get used to it, or memorize 100 yd increments in meter values, so I set it back to 100m adjustments and tweaked the Barret ammo with more velocity and lower drag 'til it fit the reticle, more or less.

Why didn't I just use the mrad version of the reticle? Shut up, that's why.

Toward the top of the image, you see the rangefinder. The base is a hash 20 moa above center, and best I can figure, you set that at the target's crotch and read the range from the hash on their head, or maybe set the base at the target's knees and read the range from the hash at the shoulders. The hashes, best I can guess, are 18" wide at range.

The drops are head width at range, with small hashes at the 50m POAs, and somehow, the 20, 24, 28, and 32 moa hashes line up close enough with the 700, 750, 800, and 850m POIs to be useful. The vertical line at six o'clock starts 36 moa from center, and the pixel just under the tip is the 900m POA. I took the liberty to make blank spaces at the 950 and 1000m POAs.

Now, I edited the prone-scoped error to be 0.023, 'cause posts on a few forums here and there that I googled up said a factory default Barret with normal ammo will give you 2.5 to 3 moa groups, and 2.5 + 3 ÷ 2 = 2.75 moa average deviation cone ÷ 2 = 1.375 moa cone radius ÷ 21600 moa in a circle = 0.0000636 deviation proportion × 360° = 0.022896 error or 0.023 rounded to a thousandth of a degree. That's a bit loose for a sniper rifle, but is fine for an anti-materiel weapon, 'cause accuracy demands for engine blocks and generators at range are lower. Alternatively, .50 BMG is generally lethal anywhere it hits, so headshots are not required.

All that by way of explaining the missing magnification info on the HUD being due to my deactivation of the scoped flag on the Barret, allowing movement while aiming. Suboptimal strategy at max 19x mag., yes, but possibly life-saving at minimal 4x mag.

Note: the only experience I have with making spread sheets is that I saw my wife working in excel, and decided to play around on Google Docs to see if I could make tables for converting BDC and rangefinder values from reticle blueprints into pixels for reticle adaptations. And wouldn't you know it? I came up with a table or two where you enter an error value in one cell, and tweak a multiplier in a different cell, and five other cells math up values for the others for you. So I have the accuracy of all the weapons in this mod increasing from one stance to the next in exactly the same proportions from standing hip fire to prone scoped. It's neat.

My inability to hit my targets really is a skill issue. I don't play multiplayer for a reason. For many reasons, really, but go on.

I'm also doubtful I got the angles of the gaps in the segmented circle right, but at this resolution, it's close enough. Max mag. of 19x means each moa is 4 pixels and the numbers — on which I crush, remember — are 5x7px. So it's too much zoom for an oversized DMR, yeah, but I like the detail.

Just for clarity: I edited the velocity and drag from 853/0.295 to 975/0.305.

Playtesting's been fun enough.

Edit: New screenshot. Minor tweaks. Confirmed that a target kneeling is 42" from ground to shoulder height, which just happens to be the height each hash in the rangefinder is at range.

Edit again: Another version of the reticle. EBR-9 Mrad.

Optimized for 22x mag. and metric measurements. No BDC, but with a nice tree of holds. I like it well enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_EBR9moa.jpg (155.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_EBR9mrad.jpg (159.2 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 03-04-2024 at 05:58 PM.