View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 03:16 PM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
I've had the privilege of playing the mod for a while now, and I must say... it's absolutely brilliant. Folks, if you haven't tried it yet, you MUST. In terms of working with what you have, it's the best mod for any game that I've ever played.

The environments/maps are perfect and designed with extreme attention to detail. The zombies are believable and behave just as you would expect. Without spoiling too much, I'll just say that you must kill them in the way you would expect to kill zombies, and the runners will scare the **** out of ya. The sounds fit extremely well with the maps and help create a believable apocalypse-type environment. I never played the original NSO mod (big mistake, obviously), so I'm not sure if the weapons are new to this mod or were included with the original NSO, but they're all very fun to control and can be very zombie-effective.

***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***
I do have a few *minor* complaints. Namely, the flare-throwing zombies make gameplay incredibly difficult in spots, especially since the environments are too dark to spot them. The experience does add to the thrill since you are temporarily blinded, only to have your vision clear up and see a drooling freak right in your face. However, the fact that these affect your health is a bit too much, IMO. I'm tempted to rob the .mis files and remove them myself so I can actually finish a mission (yes, in 2 hours of gameplay, I've yet to finish "First Encounter"). The menu graphics and such are great, but the contrast is hard to make out in some areas (such as the briefings). Finally, I believe the storyline could have used a bit more depth. An instant, city-wide outbreak after a crash and subsequent random herds doesn't interest me as much as a developing storyline.
***POSSIBLE SPOILERS***

Overall, the environments, sounds, zombies, etc. all combine to create a thrilling experience that truly leaves you feeling overwhelmed and fighting for survival. I was legitimately scared throughout most of my gameplay.

P.S.: Leave the cars alone.