View Single Post
Old 06-25-2022, 12:48 PM
mg is offline mg

Quote:
I don't have any experience with DF2 or DFTFD, and limited DFLW demo time, but as I found out in my C4 work, the player .sav files hold settings for five different players, and I found five different mousescale hexes. Same for DFBHDTS.
Oh, so that's why you mentioned 5 values!

To anyone who might want to use the offsets I provided here: they're only valid for the first player entry.

Quote:
And being fairly certain I confirmed that mousescale 511 upper limit, I have to assume the mousescale can take up 2 bytes, and from other things I've tweaked in the .sav files, once 255 (FF) is overstepped, the byte to the left of that starts to increase, and original byte increases by single steps. I think? That new bytes to the left get increased, that's for sure, though.
Thanks for that! It's confirmed then, representation is probably 16-bit but could be more, likely unsigned, and definitely big-endian (assuming by "left" you mean "smaller offset/address"). It would also mean that the offsets I provided are for the LSB of that value.

Quote:
Please keep in mind, I don't actually know what I'm doing a lot of the time, I just have very strong suspicions and obscenely free time and patience to test ideas. My wife hates it.
Haha, I think not many people know what they're doing when it comes to software, if anyone. Some just don't share their notes explaining their struggles, tests and iterations. It makes them look smarter, but we know better . I'm guilty of that sometimes, writing everything down can take a while! But all that time spent testing and iterating, well, it always does happen either way.