Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2022, 04:19 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

What happened with the CAR15Lb.tga is that I just wanted to attempt a dirt and wear effect, and I put the bare minimum effort into it, and just left it like that. I've since revisited the methods on glass targas for other weapons and they look slightly better. Maybe.

Under laboratory conditions (0 error, 0 recoil, 0 stability) on a suboptimal map (TD - Airstrip — 1000m fog and telephone poles for targets) and using the four Scorch0X.tga replacements you see in one of the screenshots above, I can get good testing done on these BDCs in the SFOD mod. I'd love to whip up a testing range in the MEd, but I can't get the MEd to start in the SFOD mod on my crate, and just thinking about troubleshooting that exhausts me, so I make do with less.

And my experimenting with BDC reticles has made it clear to me that a real ACOG is probably not pinpoint accurate at every range on every rifle you could mount it on, 'cause you could put it on an M16 with match-grade ammo, or an M4 with standard quality ammo, it's not going to function the same way. I wouldn't expect it to, anyway.

Speaking of experiments, I'm attaching screenshots of one of my favorites. The M14 has a full-auto mode with iron sights under the scope, and semi using the fixed 9x mag. scope with a mutation of the German 1 reticle I came up with. The center post is like an inverse ACOG where you use dude-wide gaps for ranging instead of dude-wide hashes. I didn't want to clutter up the reticle with numbers on the sides, so I cluttered it up with dots to designate the 400m, 600m and 800m aimpoints. It kind of works. The center post is 24x384px (36kb), the right horizon is 384x18px (27kb), and the left horizon is the right horizon mounted mirrored in the weapon.def. All that reticle for 63kb!

I did the Schmidt & Bender 5-25x56 crosshairs above similarly. The horizonal is one (12x768px) targa, and vertical is a second (768x12px) targa, and the rangefinder is a third (200x40px) targa. All together, about 103kb, uncompressed. If you pay attention to the 1mrad divisions left, right, and top, you'll see where I managed to shade 11px spaces to appear divided evenly into fifths. I'm a little proud of that, I am.

Looking at your ACOG, I get the impression that the chevron is white, edged with alpha, and using draw method blend. That would make it overly bright on dim maps. I could give you guidance on making a multiplyat targa with an add targa on top of it to make it more reactive to background lighting, if you'd like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFODM14Auto.jpg (378.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg SFODM14Semi.jpg (272.6 KB, 13 views)