Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2023, 03:26 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

This one was a treat /S

Another Operator Drewski video:

...Triggered my mod response. 'Cause I kind of hate the reticle on this Hamr scope (timestamps 14:19 and 18:40). I had to try some things.

Escape from Tarkov handles art assets, lighting, tranparency, et cetera, in vastly different ways than NL games do. Mostly, it's okay, but the one .jpg attached below shows how in the right circumstances, the reticle mostly disappears. I had to experiment.

To get started, I took screengrabs from the video, resized them to be 1024px wide (NL's HUD grid width), then traced the reticle to get a targa for testing sizing and correct magnification. After mounting the targa on the M4 and adding a variable zoom from 4x to 19x, got in a test map and figured out that 12x is actually optimal. At 12x, The outer horseshoe width was dude-wide (48.26cm) at 200m, the inner horseshoe width was dude-wide at 300m, and the 400m hash was dude-wide, too. Then I confirmed that the horizon was divided into 10 moa subtensions. I then tweaked the ammo velocity from 930m/s for the ACOG down to 890m/s, and all the points of impact aligned with the points of aim, although it took me a minute to realize the center dot needed to be zeroed at 200m.

Form and function established, I moved on to targa aesthetics. Knowing I needed a multiply layer (to make dark bits on bright backgrounds) under an add layer (to make bright bits on dark backgrounds), I went through several versions, going from grey lines that faded to nothing against backgrounds of certain brightness, to the lightish grey lines with darkish outlines that are sometimes suboptimally visible, but always there.

I couldn't get the horseshoe to completely disappear against bright backgrounds like the 14:32 screengrab from the video, but it gets very pale when you aim at snow or the sun. The reticle is really good in low light, for sure.

The neat thing about 4x mag. on auto is that the reticle is almost exactly three times larger than the 12x mag. in semi, so the inside of the horseshoe is dude-wide at 100m at 4x. At least I think that's neat.

I have an idea I want to try still, but I'm not confident anything better will come from the experiment, but if something does, I'll update this.

Quick edit: Attachments 5 and 6... they're EFT authentic, but that's not better, is it? Compared to attachments 7 and 8?

I mean, I know I can just do this reticle like the dozens of others I've done, but what I'm going for here is a reticle that still holds the original's style while improving the usability. Make it like Tarkov, but better.

I don't know. It feels right, though.

Edit: * sigh *

The last screenshot. Is this me being practical? Or have I no creative stamina?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIQ_Hamr_EFT_Day.jpg (689.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WIQ_Hamr_EFT_Dim.jpg (308.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WIQ_Hamr_4x_Auto.jpg (479.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WIQ_Hamr_12x_Semi.jpg (530.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WIQ_Hamr_Horseshoe_fade.jpg (492.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WIQ_Hamr_BDC_fade.jpg (576.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WIQ_Hamr_Horseshoe_strong.jpg (416.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WIQ_Hamr_BDC_strong.jpg (575.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WIQ_Hamr_12x_ill.jpg (405.4 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 03-10-2023 at 04:53 PM.