Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2022, 08:20 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

If I would just stop watching XBox Ahoy's weapon guides I might be able to settle my mind on some things, but I got caught up in the Dragunov review (https://youtu.be/XX7yt77a6-I), so here I am again.

PSO-1 reticle in illuminated green, 'cause red looks bad in the NVGs. Twist on the rangefinder: calibrated for 1.5 meters (4' 11"? Who are we sniping?), and every 100m division is labeled 'cause I felt like drawing odd numbers too. Optimized for 11x mag. 'cause that's where one milliradian is 8.061597 pixels.

Play testing is fairly satisfying. Went through a lot of iterations of draw methods, opacities, colors, shades, brightness, but honestly, I don't know how I could make this better.

Edit: Okay, the target kneeling at 500m makes the 1.5m rangefinder almost make sense.

Edit again: Messed around. Apparently, if you set the baseline of the rangefinder on the target's beltline, whether they're kneeling or standing, move it sideways 'til the head touches the curve, then divide that value in half, you'll get a close range estimate. Hm.

Edit final (?): Redrew the reticle including a curve for 0.5m. It seems like you put the rangefinder baseline center mass and move sideways 'til the head touches the 0.5m curve. Plus point: to label the curves, I had to move the rangefinder left, and the HUD text no longer obscures it!

Also realized that if all you can see of the target is the head, place the baseline at the chin, slide left 'til the head touches the 0.5m curve, divide the value by 2, and you've got a range to work with.

Why all this trouble when the game has a range display right there on the HUD? Sometimes, the game tells you the range to the tree half way to the target that the target is almost obscured by. Sometimes it tells you the distance to the window pane you're looking out of or the invisible wall between you and the target. I think an alternate way to range is handy in these cases.

If you like to snipe, I want to make it better for you. Alright, I just want to make it better for me, but my reticles might be good for you, too.

Edit final (!): Made the main chevron two milliradians tall (grudgingly) and thickened it. It's probably not impossible to confuse it with other markings on this reticle in a panic, but it's a little more difficult to do that now. Also redrew the 7 and the 5s, moved the curve labels two pixels higher.

Fairly certain the edit window on this reply is closing soon, so this really will be the final edit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO1g_Day.jpg (217.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO1g_Night.jpg (140.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO1g_NVG.jpg (149.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO1g_1.5m_at_500m.jpg (185.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO1g_0.5m_at_200m.jpg (195.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO1g_2mrad_chev.jpg (218.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 12-10-2022 at 07:37 AM.