View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 01:25 AM
Mauser 98K is offline Mauser 98K

it is the Shalon 4A1 Civilian Mask with Type-80 NBC filter... supposed to be a full range NBC filter for all known types of threats... got a tub of new sealed and in date Type-80 filters... it is based on the old German Drager Simplex mask... the one i really like is the Shalon M15 IDF mask (based on the German Drager M65)... it is my main mask and was designed for and has been proven in gas and chemical attacks in the middle east on several occasions... it also accepts the standard 40mm NATO/40mm STANAG filters and can be fitted with a tube and blower system for positive pressure... i use mine for COVID shopping lol... say i have to wear a mask or i get fined, but failed to say what kind to wear... i figured I'd use one that actually works if there really is viral particulates in the air... with my lung problems im in a higher risk category and it is actually a better choice than the cloth face diapers that don't filter anything... sometimes the looks i get are priceless... gotta get your entertainment where ya can...

but i got some of the Czech M10M cheek filter types.... they're old but still work for particulates... if getting filters for them make sure it is the foil sealed type and make sure the pack still has good vacuum... if they are still vacuum sealed in the foil they should still filter out organic vapors.... to check this just use banana oil or Febreze... if you can't smell it then it is filtering although it is hard to tell for how long... they are pretty well made and they have a double exhale valve system so that if one valve doesn't stop it the other one will... a built in redundancy.... the Czech at the time were the best NBC units in the Warsaw Pact... they still used these mask with the Czech NATO NBC units all the way into Desert Dust pt-2, the adventure continues (2nd Iraq war)... but i do agree the changing of the filters are a pain...

I'd like to have some of the Czech CM-4 mask (also based on the Drager M65)... they also have the double exhale valve system and are made of the same heavy grey rubber as the M10 and M10M... they are actually better built than the Shalon M15... only reason i don't have one is they are 40mm GOST instead of 40mm NATO and finding new filters are a PITA...

im not too keen on the French ARF-A/Polish MP-5 mask... i have had 2 of them and both were brittle and the lenses yellow... if you could find a new one then it might work but they don't seem to age very well...

Last edited by Mauser 98K; 01-16-2021 at 01:48 AM.