View Single Post
Old 02-06-2007, 07:22 AM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
Friendly Fire Story

I don't know if this is in the news stateside but it's all over everything here. A British soldier got shot dead by an A10 and the MOD and US won't allow the video to be shown in the Coroners enquiry which is upsetting the coroner and indeed the family of the dead soldier.
The Sun newspaper just got hold of the video, has put it up on their website and I have just watched it. As far as I can see the two Tankbusters asked for confirmation about a lack of friendlies in the area and that the British convoy they were targeting by mistake was the convoy that the artillery had been attempting to take out before it (presumably) went out of range. Once the mistake had been spotted, the US control managed to find out from the British exactly what the casualty situation is and relay back to the mortified pilots before the Britsh control even put out a message. It becomes clear that British forces could talk directly to the A10s if neccessary later in the video.
Obviously whilst I am full of sympathy for the family of the Soldier killed, I have been struck by the emotive power of the video. We joke a lot about friendly fire but those pilots were clearly devastated.
I work in a job where occaisionly mistakes appear to cost lives and it's a difficult thing to deal with. I would urge anyone who finds the 'friendly fire' debate apparantly dismissed by the perpetrators to take a look, it's quite moving.

Link > http://www.thesun.co.uk/