View Single Post
Old 06-26-2022, 06:07 AM
mg is offline mg

Quote:
I forget rather embarrassingly often that not every player knows a lot about the mission editor.
It's not necessarily a bad assumption at this point -- any player who cared enough about these games to still be interested in them probably dabbled with it. I know I produced more maps than I can ever count as a young'un, and explored every damn feature this thing had to offer. I just forgot all about it. Although opening it up again now.. maybe it could be like riding a bike?

Quote:
Every meter in DFBHDTS is divided into 65536 units.
There it is, gotcha. Thanks!

Quote:
In the Item Attribute dialog window in the MEd, the X, Y, and Z coordinates have two boxes each, the first being full meter values between -32767 and 32767, the second is sub-meter distances in MEd units between 0 and 65535.
And this explains the prevalence of a notation with two numbers in conversation. Thanks for the reminder!

I used to research and publish a list of the precise height of all of the game assets (items, building floors, and whatever else you might want to stack something else on top of). The "Z list". Hours and hours spent iterating and testing! Fun memories.

Quote:
Fun note: in an unbordered, mission area free map, travel in any cardinal direction far enough, you basically PAC-MAN to the opposite edge of the map and start moving back toward your starting point! Starting at terrain center and heading NE, SE, SW, or NW, the farthest you can get away from terrain center is 46,338.585 meters.
Oh yeah! This I do remember clearly. It was especially cool in island terrains, mostly common in JO. I remember driving a boat into the sunset with friends after a successful co-cop, just chatting. And though we knew the theory and thought it would take an absurd amount of time that we didn't really have, sure enough we did sail "around the world" and arrived on the opposite coast of the island we started from. It was a very long conversation. There was some excitement at the end. Simpler times haha.

Quote:
Hey, side question, is a sarcasm detector supposed to make noises that loud?
It's always a party when more than one people are having fun!