View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 03:54 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

I map almost exclusively in the consumer MED, usually running it with my RelapseMG or BtDMd120913 mod. I edited the items.def in those mods, renaming every item to improve the item listing order, and to add the NoCTool attribute to unusable items.

Every map I ever made starts as an SP map. It makes construction so much easier when you can:
  • Move the player start marker to where you're making changes
  • Save and export
  • Start the game
  • Load the mission
  • Check it out
  • Pause the mission
  • ALT+TAB back to the MED
  • Make the tweaks
  • Save and export again
  • Return to the game
  • Restart the mission
  • Check it out again
  • Repeat as necessary
  • No, that's not good enough, repeat it again!
Need a god-mode for testing?
Code:
if ssnalive 10000 then ssnhp 10000 32767 endif
Add that line to the .wac for your map and the only thing that can kill the single player or the host of a serve and play is an event specifically killing ssn 10000 or group 1 or an area trigger with a -16384 health rate or so.

The only time I use an unlocked MED is if I need to add the play part animation, want to change respawns or fire time on the AIs, or add AND EDIT hidden items like tracers, satchels and claymores.

Adding the /showall tag to the consumer MED's target line will allow you access and insert NoTooled and NoCTooled items, but you will not be able to edit their attributes.

I don't like the unlocked MED because the items are listed by .3di name, and there's no rhyme or reason to the listing. Also, if you want to change an item to another item by scrolling through the Sub-Type drop down list in the upper right corner of its Item Attributes, you have to scroll through ALL the items in the unlocked MED, which I say again, is a very haphazard list to scroll through.

Also, the .log and .ifl files the 5c makes are practically useless (So don't pack them with your maps, they are not necessary for play).

I just think the 6b MED is more convenient than the 5c, despite its limitations.

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 09-17-2012 at 04:08 PM.