View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
Tessellation is an issue for me with ATI HD 5770 1GB
Quoted from the NVidia resource website.

"In its most basic form, tessellation is a method of breaking down polygons into finer pieces.

For example, if you take a square and cut it across its diagonal, you’ve “tessellated” this square into two triangles.

By itself, tessellation does little to improve realism. For example, in a game, it doesn’t really matter if a square is

rendered as two triangles or two thousand triangles—tessellation only improves realism if the new triangles are put to use

in depicting new information.

The simplest and most popular way of putting the new triangles to use is a technique called displacement mapping.

For example, the graphics artist can take a slab of marble and shift the vertices to form a carving. Another popular

technique is to apply displacement maps over terrain to carve out craters, canyons, and peaks,

when a distant building first comes into view, it may be rendered with only ten triangles. As you move closer, its prominent

features emerge and extra triangles are used to outline details such as its window and roof.When you finally reach the door,

a thousand triangles are devoted to rendering the antique brass handle alone."

My card ghosts tears and jumps from the increased tessellation when I get too close to walls or go prone.