View Single Post
Old 09-03-2015, 08:58 AM
BlacKSmurF is offline BlacKSmurF

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
Have any of you ever thought of turning your mapping/modding skills towards Indie Game Developement?

I've recently started on that path... it brings all the old skills to the fore and teaches you new ones... it can be just as much fun and coupled with a bit of commitment, it might even pay off in the end.
Sorry to revive a bit of an old thread... I have considered doing this, as someone that used to mod BHD, JO, and CS:S. I have another "creative project" I do after my job that pays the bills, but if it's wrapped up in 6ish months, I may look into this some more.

I know some people from the Mod Depot (Terranova EXP devs) that would jump on board if I proved I was committed to a project.

Reality is, I love to map - that's my specialty - but I can also make textures. I was learning how to make models when I quit.

The reason I haven't jumped into it yet is the sheer amount of money and time it will take. Let's say, theoretically, I could do all level design, weapon balancing, modeling, and texturing. I would still need: sound, animations, net code programming, and interface design (both for menus and in-game), just to name a few.

If I made the project, I'd probably use Unreal 4, as it already has a lot of the framework (ex. it has two teams for online multiplayer), and I could purchase animations and models I don't have the time to create. I've seen some incredible things 1-man teams have made in just months by doing so.

The end goal: a spiritual successor to DFBHD and DF2. The simplistic gameplay would be doable for a small team, and I wouldn't become obsessed with graphics, but rather gameplay. I'd rather build a solid foundation with great gameplay and then improve the graphics over time. That's my vision, at least.

The NSO mod is amazing. I remember talking to one of the developers back in 2007 when it was designed to have nothing but one gun: the F2000. Instead of a bunch of different guns, the one F2000 was going to be entirely customizable. I can't remember the name of the guy I used to talk to, but he was on MSN Messenger... I think it was Ben?

stompem, you say you have started on that path - what are you working on?