Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2023, 10:52 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

cz_hr06_SIGCOG.jpg:
So you might remember when I said I wasn't going to try to make an ACOG reticle for the SIG-552, even though the view model literally has an ACOG mounted on it, 'cause how'm I gonna do a 3×3px chevron?

I can't believe this...

The ladder and framing columns you see in the screenshot are 40 HLMUs wide, I'm positioned 400 HLMUs from it. A verifiable 100 milliradians.

The classic military TA31 has a 110 mrad horizon in 5 mrad subtensions.

I kind of pulled it off. Play testing pending.

Edit: Yeah, just finished the mission "Rise Hard" with the SIG-552. At this resolution, it's just a mutated red dot, but it's a confirmable chevron mutation, and, man, I wasn't sure I'd get it even that close.

I think I'm gonna have a good weekend, knock on wood.

cz_hr06_ARCO_red.jpg:
Note the red lines ending flush with the edges of the duct in the background, and where the end of the BDC meets the edge of the duct in the foreground, 'cause without moving the mouse, I switch over from the SIG-550 to...

cz_hr06_SIGCO_red.jpg:
...The SIG-552, where you see those same lines meet in the same places, meaning these two versions of the ARCO reticle I ripped off from Squad (or was it ARMA3?) are the same size, but different magnifications.

I love it when I get things right.

cz_hr06_G1_red_fade.jpg:
Unusually, I optimized the scale on this one for the first magnification level, which is 2.73x, according to my notes. At low magnification, the post and bars are 5 mrads thick. The point is slightly flat, and there's a corner on each side where the point slopes down to the edges of the center post. The gap from those corners of the flat point to each bar at 9 and 3 o'clock is 4.8 mrads, which is dude-wide at 100m.

cz_hr06_G1_red_solid.jpg:
I'm not a fan of solid-colored reticles. My experience is that contrast in the reticle itself ensures visibilty against more backgrounds. This one seems to be okay, though. Red 144. I dunno, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cz_hr06_SIGCOG.jpg (149.7 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg cz_hr06_ARCO_red.jpg (49.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg cz_hr06_SIGCO_red.jpg (133.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg cz_hr06_G1_red_fade.jpg (83.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg cz_hr06_G1_red_solid.jpg (93.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 07-08-2023 at 09:22 PM.