View Single Post
Old 05-14-2010, 09:13 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

The cars computer is normally called the ECU (engine control unit) or PCM (powertrain control module). Alot of them can be chipped or tuned to make better performance by adjusting the timing, fuel and other aspects. I'd take great care in doing this though, a simple adjustment of timing without the correct Air/Fuel ratio will easily cause disaster. More then enough people that have the same car I have, up the boost to 20-22psi or advance timing without watching KNOCK (Spark detonates before it's supposed to, causing stress on the pistons and crankshaft) or AIR/FUEL RATIO and within a few weeks they are buying a new short block.

On my car, I plug in this tuner device called the Diablosport Predator. It allows me to adjust fuel, timing, rev limiter, boost and also the speed limit (currently, fuel cutoff starts at 158mph in my car). It also has the ability to datalog and display live data related to the engine. I use that to monitor knock and I also have a wideband to monitor the A/F Ratio.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq