Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   Web design and Programming (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   home webserver?? (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1550)

G.I.JOE*MFA* 03-11-2002 08:45 AM

home webserver??

basically...HOW??

i want to host my own website on my computer...

fourms is really all im going to do for now since my webserver for my forums shutdown on me last night when i was uploading and editing to my liking...

any info will help out...thnx

Scott 03-11-2002 11:34 AM

Well... whats your computer specs? Hosing a site <b>Will</b> take most of your system resources. And you have to have a good upload speed or it will be slow as hell. (like a T3). I suppose you have cable (right?) i doubt that would work cause they usually hav built in firewalls. It would be slow, take most of your computer resources. But I bet you could get it to work.

G.I.JOE*MFA* 03-11-2002 01:08 PM

800 p3
896 mges of ram
15 gig hd (unsure of speed)
tnt2 pro 16 meg graphics card
cable (unsure of speed)

although games, windows, programs, internet is all very fast...

road runner is my isp and does have firewalls...

im running windows me now and will go back to windows xp as soon as a working xp compatable stat program is released...

puter is online 24/7 and is only taken down for short times for scan disk, defrags, and reboots...5 mins at a time...lol...

im only using about 2.82 gig of hd space at the moment...so i have plenty of room to run a server just for my forums...thats all it will be used for for now...

when i update my old computer later this summer or early fall it will have dual gig+ proccessors, gig+ ddr ram, at least a 64 meg vid card and sound card (these will be top of the line at time of purchase) and at least a 60 gig HD along with the cable modem...a better system but im gonna dink around with what i have now...get my feet wet u could say

:

..::UPDATE::..
i downloaded Xitami web server for free and started it but dont know how to set it up so just 1 folder is accessed...also i use DNS2GO if this helps...i also downloaded Sambar server and now when i enter my ip in the url block it sends me to Sambar's website...i need to set it up so my ip (or my DNS2GO domain) sends surfers to my forums in my folder that is only surfers can access...understand??...lol...hope so:D

Neo_TAW 03-11-2002 01:54 PM

www.apache.org
or www.apache.com
or
www.apache.net
i forget what it is
LOL
but neways they have a html host and a bunch of others too
other than that i dunno much more

Good Luck;)

Neo_TAW 03-11-2002 01:55 PM

its www.apache.org
sorry for ne inconvienence

Scott 03-11-2002 02:04 PM

hey neo, please reduce your sig to about 50k. right now its almost 200k and slows down the 56kers. Thanks

Neo_TAW 03-11-2002 02:46 PM

better?

Scott 03-11-2002 04:38 PM

Yes bro, thanks! It dosent bother me but some 56kers complain cause it takes alot longer to load the page. Like to keep you all happy :)

Neo_TAW 03-11-2002 05:35 PM

lol
np bro

Necromancer 03-14-2002 12:35 AM

You know, it's very possible to host a website on your own computer, even if you have a firewall. There are a lot of firewalls out there that allow a lot of traffic, and still block hackers and viruses. I have one that is tied to my VirusScan that works awesome. So you wouldn't have to worry about intruders if you have one of those. Also, all you need to do is leave your comp connected to the 'Net in order to allow 24-hour access to your clients. No problem there if you have cable.

BLADE =GH= 03-14-2002 02:29 AM

GI JOE your ISP should give you a 10mb personal web site to use as you have with Email. This will be ok for a forums, that is how our site www.gloryhunters.org is done.