Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hello everyone I am very new here.. (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47971)

lorentedford 08-18-2016 02:38 PM

Hello everyone I am very new here..

Greetings Everyone I am very new here.. I know i probably should have registered here long time ago since i have frequented this site many times..

I am a BHD player and have been very busy with my own frustrations hi hi..

I run and manage several Linux servers and just recently decided to host my own bhd server just for testing purposes.. I know its a bit late in the game and the game is about dead but I really wanted to understand why this game had so much lag issue and low fps issues..

So far i have come up with an idea which i am not sure if i am correct or not.. But it seems that its based around how many objects are placed in a small area.. I did notice an improvement being in a data center environment one was less over all lag between the players however I truely don't think the average ms info is actually correct in game.. I was runing some MTR reports between me and the server and found that in most cases that info was off quite abit..

I figured i would join here and have some fun maybe toy around with making maps or some thing hard to say what i might do..

73's
Loren

Scott 08-18-2016 03:11 PM

Welcome to NovaHQ :)

The lag does have a lot to do with the amount of items in an area and also the netcode probably isn't as sophisticated as the newer games.

Steve 08-21-2016 04:34 PM

hey Loren :)

bigsmellyfart 08-21-2016 09:44 PM

Welcome...there is a maximum number of
objects that can be put on any map...
dont remember what they are...

IcIshoot 08-22-2016 09:32 PM

I think the item count was around 1200 items.

My understanding is that one reason for the lag is that the game renders every thing, whether it was visible or not, where as these days games are smarter.

At least that is what I remember remembering... it has been close to 4 years since I worked on a bhd map :D

IcI

lorentedford 08-22-2016 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icishoot (Post 385834)
I think the item count was around 1200 items.

My understanding is that one reason for the lag is that the game renders every thing, whether it was visible or not, where as these days games are smarter.

At least that is what I remember remembering... it has been close to 4 years since I worked on a bhd map :D

IcI

Thanks IC miss ya in game!!

And thanks everyone!

bigsmellyfart 08-23-2016 02:37 AM

re

yep that's right 1200 is it you can put more but it will lag the game real bad try to keep texture memory @ or less than 64 MB...also limiting the number of types of objects helps keep it @ or below 84 mb

Steve 08-23-2016 04:39 AM

sure i remember back in the DF2 and LW days, there was some advice to line objects up (horiz/vert) to help out to.