Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   Hardware and Software (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Vista :O (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38846)

-Tigger- 06-26-2007 08:03 AM

Vista :O

i decided to try running vista without using the default theme that they have, so im using the old style windows theme and all i can say is the performance increase and speed of vista is amazing now :eek:

if ur running vista and having performance issues try changing the theme :)

ps. i dont want this thread 2 turn in2 a discussion about how poop vista is, it has less problems than XP :) i have had 1 blue screen on vista compared to lots of XP :)

IcIshoot 06-26-2007 08:29 AM

lol, I have never had a blue screen on XP :D

I'm just waiting until I get more money to get vista... Hate how MS makes all the good stuff so expensive :(

Any idea how much faster it performs? Not that I'm surprised, turn off the eye candy, less stuff has to be processed.

IcI

-Tigger- 06-26-2007 09:31 AM

well, the performance is very noticable, bit like running XP on 512mb of ram and then upgrading to 2GB, it freed up around 300mb of ram

Sal UK 07-24-2007 05:54 PM

I just upgraded the old computer to duel prossesor and vista, I knew I shouldhave kept to building my own. But as I get older I find myself not wanting to go through the hastle.

Anyway I bought a pre built and I had to upgrade the Graphics card, As the onboard intel just wasnt good enough, I replaced it with a sort of Value card
a Geforce 8500GT 512MB, Why does the Graphics still add 255MB of system ram to it i dont know..lol But I have another gig or ram arriving tomorrow or thursday to go with the gig installed.

I do like Vista and now since these small upgrades to the base machine I find it fast enough for me at the moment. I have an Expierance score of 4.5 out of 6 this should raise up a little when I get the new 1gig ram installed.

I dont know if you know BB but Play have 1 gig of Kingston Value ram for £17.99 £70.00 off retail.

Anyway I am still trying to get to grips and still have to work out what works and what dont.

So I will post what my thoughts are on it in a few days time.

Sal.

Scott 07-25-2007 02:51 AM

I also just switched over to vista. It came installed on my laptop, I played with it for a few hours and decided that I really like it.

There are a few things that annoy me though, like the inability to change file type icons to my custom ones and not being able to really customize windows explorer. Also dragging and dropping files in explorer is a lot different, I sometimes end up putting them inside other folders, so I can't find them later. But the awesome search helps with that. Some things are difficult the find at first but you get used to it, and start to see the benefits after you just accept it.

Run it on my desktop full time now also. All my games work, all my programs work. Vista boots faster than XP on both my laptop and desktop. Laptop is Core2Duo 2.2GHz with 4GB ram, desktop is AMD x2 6000+ @3.2GHz with 4GB ram.

Chrispy 07-25-2007 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Scott
I also just switched over to vista. It came installed on my laptop, I played with it for a few hours and decided that I really like it.

There are a few things that annoy me though, like the inability to change file type icons to my custom ones and not being able to really customize windows explorer. Also dragging and dropping files in explorer is a lot different, I sometimes end up putting them inside other folders, so I can't find them later. But the awesome search helps with that. Some things are difficult the find at first but you get used to it, and start to see the benefits after you just accept it.

Run it on my desktop full time now also. All my games work, all my programs work. Vista boots faster than XP on both my laptop and desktop. Laptop is Core2Duo 2.2GHz with 4GB ram, desktop is AMD x2 6000+ @3.2GHz with 4GB ram.

Would you prefer Vista over XP?

Haven't tried Vista yet - but if I do ever use it and I run into anything I don't like, it's only a matter of just getting used to it really. Meh, I'm staying with XP till who knows. :D

Chris :)

-Tigger- 07-25-2007 06:08 AM

i noticed that ram on play.com, but vista is on my dell laptop (yes i said dell, and its gud..), but i have 2GB inside it anyway, and it seems 2 b more than enuff :D

Scott 07-25-2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Chrispy
Would you prefer Vista over XP?
If you have a PC that can handle it, yes.

Stephen 07-25-2007 01:22 PM

From what ive seen you need atleast 1 Gb memory to run it smooth.

DevilDog#1 07-25-2007 05:52 PM

Mac OS X all the way baby!!!!!!!!!!!!