Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming Talk (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Fun competitive FPS's (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45149)

EDGE 07-06-2010 12:29 PM

Fun competitive FPS's

I'm looking for a fps to take up the time that I spend at home on the computer not doing anything productive. I'm looking more along the lines of free fps since I won't dedicate enough of my time playing the game to convince myself to pay $40 for a new game. Anyone have any suggestions?

RedrumSalad 07-06-2010 12:35 PM

how about the half life series? its a long series, and its a good one, completely singleplayer except for HL: DM (Half Life: Death Match)

on steam it is $40 for all the hl's and expansion packs, also comes with team fortress classic

~MOUSE~ 07-06-2010 08:49 PM

AVA If you can get it to work on your PC (Very temperamental about PC specifications and compatibility).

Great eye candy and weapon options but lousy ballistics and a forum full of arrogant pricks.

The sniper rifles are way over powered, with little disadvantage. Save up for a TPG1 and be a one shot wonder over long range, medium range and short range.

Despite the problems, it is free and a blast to play every now and then.

EDGE 07-07-2010 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~MOUSE~ (Post 366426)
AVA If you can get it to work on your PC (Very temperamental about PC specifications and compatibility).

Great eye candy and weapon options but lousy ballistics and a forum full of arrogant pricks.

The sniper rifles are way over powered, with little disadvantage. Save up for a TPG1 and be a one shot wonder over long range, medium range and short range.

Despite the problems, it is free and a blast to play every now and then.

I played AVA for a few months a while back and it was fun, but it just didn't fit my style of gameplay. It took absolutely no skill to play, it was just a "see who can get the first shot" kind of game.

I've completed the Half Life series and yes, it's a good one, but not what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestions guys. If anyone else has any others, feel free to share :D

VooDoo- 07-07-2010 01:08 AM

I play Team Fortress 2 all the time... it's one of the most fun FPS out there in my opinion that requires a lot of knowledge about the game and strategy to succeed, so it's not you're typical point and click FPS type game, there's a bunch of different things you can do. The game types in it are very competitive, and I like that a lot; like capture point (domination) and payload (kinda like a sabotage/checkpoint style game). if you can play cs:s you can play tf2, because it's the hl2 engine

and hey it's 20 bucks. that's not that bad price at all. for ten more bucks you get the entire orange box deal ..

MERMITE 07-07-2010 01:32 AM

Build your own, there's enough free engines around, if you can map you are half way there, and you just never know, some one may throw some cash your way

"M"

EDGE 07-07-2010 12:47 PM

I've played the first Team Fortress and haven't played the second one yet. I think I might try it out. I've heard it was really good and addictive.

VooDoo- 07-07-2010 08:49 PM

if you got a ps3 there's battlefield 1943 for 15 bucks lol

another cheap kick ass game ;)

Mstenger404 07-08-2010 10:05 AM

Warsow

It's borderlands style cell shaded, but plays like unreal tournament.

Honestly I wouldn't consider it, it's just free.

although if you are willing to spend a little bit of money and squeeze out every last bit of fun you can possibly have with a game. There's counter-strike: source, open up the server browser and theres already atleast 10 different mods that can automatically download for you. besides the 2 classic bomb and hostage rescue, you'll find 3 different variants of zombie survival, and a ton of custom map servers that'll bend the rules of what makes CSS CS.

After that you could try gmod 10. It works best when you own CSS, and HL2, but you'll find infinitely more things to do in multiplayer.

chopperprop 07-08-2010 12:32 PM

I still play RTCW all the time and I think it is still fun.

chopperprop 07-08-2010 12:36 PM

Quake 3

Bustin 07-16-2010 06:53 PM

I play Quake Live from time to time. It is a browser based version of Quake 3.

MSgt.Dylan 07-16-2010 08:45 PM

Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat

Free mod for Source 2004, so it should work if you have purchased any game using the Source engine. Kind of dead now, but the remaining community (myself included) really need new players that are not CS kiddies.

VooDoo- 07-17-2010 01:22 PM

i heard about that mod when it first came out ... never tried it though..

is it any good?

Mstenger404 07-17-2010 07:24 PM

I thought it was pretty good, its more focused on realism than fun. 1-2 shots your dead and there's quite a few bullets flying around, one or two just might happen to hit you. In that mod, nothing is more satisfying than flanking a large group of enemies and taking them all down single handedly.