Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming Talk (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Map Making SP to COOP (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45087)

chopperprop 06-02-2010 12:35 PM

Map Making SP to COOP

How come map makers don't include COOP versions of their SP maps.

Mstenger404 06-02-2010 10:41 PM

believe me, if it were as easy as checking a check box and it working right away 100% everyone would have been doing it. When map makers do singleplayer maps theyre doing it so to convey an experience they want that player to have. Most scripting (for me anyway) was thrown right out the window when it wouldn't work with coop.

MERMITE 06-03-2010 02:59 AM

Yep I'll buy that,
.......so to convey an experience they want that player to have...
try to survive and complete the required goals
"M"

Bustin 06-03-2010 11:24 AM

Well events,triggers and even AI do not act the same in coop as they do in singleplayer. Therefore it is hard to take map that days was spent on and check coop because the map maker knows it will not play the way it was intended.

In my maps I know what won't work so I check the "remove if mp" option in the item attributes...so most of the time it is a watered down version of a sp map.

Mstenger404 06-03-2010 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MERMITE (Post 365467)
Yep I'll buy that,
.......so to convey an experience they want that player to have...
try to survive and complete the required goals
"M"

Yes, just like every single first person shooter ever made.

dave61 06-03-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bustin (Post 365474)
Well events,triggers and even AI do not act the same in coop as they do in singleplayer. Therefore it is hard to take map that days was spent on and check coop because the map maker knows it will not play the way it was intended.

In my maps I know what won't work so I check the "remove if mp" option in the item attributes...so most of the time it is a watered down version of a sp map.

Exactly,

What works in SP maps don't work in coop maps ! Single player triggers won't work in a multiplayer map.

Also, if you check in your games .pff files you'll see that NOVA inserted a multiplayer script in the game.wac that overides the AI accuracy so that the AI become more accurate as more players join the game.

Dashie 06-18-2010 10:00 AM

The reason I personally usually only make SP maps is system requirements. You can do so much more on Single Player maps without worrying about lagging a server out.

Most of my DFX2 maps would be simply unplayable on Co-Op, because there are too many objects. Making Co-Op maps are also more annoying, as you have to build them in different ways. Some things on the .WAC or .BIN files don't work on the client (user) end, and only work on the server end.

You also have to design them differently, with multiple players playing in mind. You also can't get away with things that you can on Single Player maps, like having a linear route (it depends), because people will always mess around and run in random places.

I personally don't mind making Co-Op maps, and think its fun to make them. However, I tend to have more fun making Single Player maps because there's more that the mapper can do on them.

chopperprop 06-18-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dashie (Post 365927)
The reason I personally usually only make SP maps is system requirements. You can do so much more on Single Player maps without worrying about lagging a server out.

Most of my DFX2 maps would be simply unplayable on Co-Op, because there are too many objects. Making Co-Op maps are also more annoying, as you have to build them in different ways. Some things on the .WAC or .BIN files don't work on the client (user) end, and only work on the server end.

You also have to design them differently, with multiple players playing in mind. You also can't get away with things that you can on Single Player maps, like having a linear route (it depends), because people will always mess around and run in random places.

I personally don't mind making Co-Op maps, and think its fun to make them. However, I tend to have more fun making Single Player maps because there's more that the mapper can do on them.

if you get time I would like to try a coop map by you, My server should run it. We would love to try one out as we are always looking for more coop maps to play on our Teamwork/GM server.
Thanks