Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   Tech Support (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Dedicated server (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17693)

Cujo>DK< 07-19-2004 03:07 AM

Dedicated server

I need some advice before I do anything.

Now I'm wanting to either pay for or set up a dedicated server for my squad. I checked a few companies that offer Dedicated servers for just this purpose. Now some of the better ones were for $100-300 US a month.

This got me to thinking about setting up a server on my own and that's what I need advice on.

Just follow my line of thinking.

I can get a case, CPU, Motherboard, and HD (20 gig) for about $340.

Now I used to have a P3 500mhz with 192mb of RAM, and a 32mb Riva TNT2 Model 64. I asked the members, and they said with my old set up the hardly ever got lag, but there were problems with CI's. So on the server PC I was going to go with a faster CPU and more RAM to correct that issue.

Now to the basic questions that I have.

Is it possible to use a second PC as a dedicated server?

I've got a cable connection would I be able to connect the two PC's to the same cable line?

Let me know your thoughts on this so I can know if i'm barking up the wrong tree, or should I just break down, and pay $100-300 a month.

Systemkaos 07-19-2004 04:20 AM

depends on your upload, if you host two BHD servers on the same router then one or the other will totaly suck, or maybe just both.

With a good server you need a good CPU and at least a gig of memory, and trust me mate nothing worth 340 bucks is going to host any thing good lol thats enough for a CPU and stick of memory LMAO

But trust me you need better then cable if you want to attempt to host 2 servers with out a small hiccup, trust me if you get all your squad to pay for it, iots well worth it

Charlie Daniels 07-19-2004 01:43 PM

You want 2 computers on the same line, like one dedicated server and then one computer that you use? Or 2 dedicated servers?

Systemkaos is right.

And by the way, you don't need a good video card to run on a server, unless you plan on playing on it also.

Cujo>DK< 07-19-2004 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Charlie Daniels
You want 2 computers on the same line, like one dedicated server and then one computer that you use? Or 2 dedicated servers?

Systemkaos is right.

And by the way, you don't need a good video card to run on a server, unless you plan on playing on it also.

Yeah it would be the server, and the other one would be the one that I use.

Mainly what I'd be hosting would be LW and/or TFD.

-Tigger- 07-19-2004 06:41 PM

whats ur connection speed?? I hosted a server on bhd on this pc and the internet was effected on the other pc...

teej 07-19-2004 06:49 PM

for a good connection, u want a decent computer and a fast connection...an old squad of mine, the founder had two computers, 1 he hosted off and 1 he played on. there was a program so all u do it leave ur computer on and open this program and it shows the desktop of the computer you are hosting from. u can open programs ect. example...u can open bhd and host a server, close the program down on yo ur playing computer, then join your host so u would never ever have to toach your other computer. :D :) ;)

Systemkaos 07-19-2004 07:15 PM

most people call that remote administration