Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Extreme low temperature (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44689)

SilentTrigger 01-06-2010 03:55 AM

Extreme low temperature

Quote:

Cold weather expected for 4 day periods with mean temperature less than zero.
http://www.meteoalarm.eu/area.asp?ar...try=GB&lang=EN

Sorry I thought this sounded funny, below Zero and it's "Extreme low temperature" in the UK :rofl: :clap:

Not sure where this site get's it's information from but it's not BBC atleast, they only warn about snow (I can defenetly understand that warning ;))

Steve 01-06-2010 04:35 AM

you know what, we get crappy weather all year round, we have cold summers and mild/cold winters, the temperature doesnt seem to vary all year round. now when we get a nice temperature in the summer, someone who lives in the desert say "oh that's not hot what wtf you guys on about" , then when we get cold weather or snow, someone who lives near the actic circle says "oh that's not cold what wtf you guys on about" , then when when it rains, someone who lives near the rainforest says "oh that's not much rain what wtf you guys on about"

temp today will go to -5 around me but is currently -10 in some parts, the temp doesnt get much lower than that to that is cold for the UK!!!!!

cold/snow is a big deal because we get snow on 2 or 3 days a year and it brings the country to a halt pretty much. there are not many snow plows and no one has winter tyres on their cars. i thinks it's a legal requirement in some european countries to have winter tyres? so they can cope a lot better. noticed a lot of cars with studded tyres in stockholm :)

EDGE 01-06-2010 05:41 AM

I watched a story on the news about the low temperatures. Seemed kinda odd that they were covering the UK mostly. I thought it was usually cold there, but that's just me. It seems like the cold weather is affecting most of the world and not just North Carolina like I thought it was :p

SilentTrigger 01-06-2010 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve (Post 360470)
you know what, we get crappy weather all year round, we have cold summers and mild/cold winters, the temperature doesnt seem to vary all year round. now when we get a nice temperature in the summer, someone who lives in the desert say "oh that's not hot what wtf you guys on about" , then when we get cold weather or snow, someone who lives near the actic circle says "oh that's not cold what wtf you guys on about" , then when when it rains, someone who lives near the rainforest says "oh that's not much rain what wtf you guys on about"

temp today will go to -5 around me but is currently -10 in some parts, the temp doesnt get much lower than that to that is cold for the UK!!!!!

cold/snow is a big deal because we get snow on 2 or 3 days a year and it brings the country to a halt pretty much. there are not many snow plows and no one has winter tyres on their cars. i thinks it's a legal requirement in some european countries to have winter tyres? so they can cope a lot better. noticed a lot of cars with studded tyres in stockholm :)

I don't say anything about -5 or -10 but it sounded as if -0.1 would be extreme. Sorry I know it's the whole geographical hypocrazy, but didn't think it was that big difference between Sweden and UK, well more rain in UK but other then that hehe. And yes it's law to have M+S rated tires from 1 December to 31 March. Also not that big difference in temps either, around -20 with windchill included here

Oh and yes from the time there's one (1) cm of snow on the roads they have 3 hours to clear the road, 3 hours after the snowfall has stoped the roads need to be snow and ice free. So yeah we are spoiled!

Scott 01-06-2010 08:08 AM

Right now it's -8 and tomorrow it will be -16. When I was up in Canada over the new years it was -40 during the nights.

SilentTrigger 01-06-2010 08:30 AM

Yep say around 200 km noth it gets down to around that as well, but not here, -25 to -30 as the lowest, thats Celcius by the way :)

Time for a drive, going to play some hockey with friends on a pond (kind of) :)

Hellfighter 01-06-2010 08:54 AM

last night in my area it got 19F-28F around 2am (02:00hrs)
three locations around lake city weather stations

Northern Florida, Lake City.

my aunt her home she has 5-nozzles outside PVC pipe upright about 3FT-5Ft very (for live stock water tanks and her dogs water dishes).

3-5 frozen up totally 2am. i unfreeze them! 2x it happen again around 7am, 4 out of 5 nozzles frozen up.

1x she did not set them to drip to help keep them from freezing up, at that time it was 2am (02:00hrs) i gone over and check on them.
2x i check (i got a feeling she gone outside and turn them nozzles off) around 7am (7:00hrs), i had to work on them again to get the water running again in them.

what a b*tch! i hate the freeze when it hits
who ever said the planet is getting to warmng up to much, yea right

atholon 01-06-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 360477)
Right now it's -8 and tomorrow it will be -16. When I was up in Canada over the new years it was -40 during the nights.

Yeah my friend mentioned that.

Humidity also has a huge impact on how cold it feels. When I went to visit my wife's family in virginia it was only 20 degrees F (which is about what Utah is) but they had a lot more humidity so it felt way colder and it seemed as though my ski coat did nothing to help.

Steve 01-06-2010 01:00 PM

Canada and Greenland have stolen our usual weather pattern. we usually get walmer weather from the west, but currently getting the cold from scandinavia. just saw that greenland was +12 the other day, so they are having a milder winter.

Steve 01-06-2010 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentTrigger*MFA* (Post 360473)
but didn't think it was that big difference between Sweden and UK,

i guess very south of sweden might be similar, but even between scotland and mid/south england is very different even though its only a few hundred miles. some place in Scotland reached -18 or so today, i dont think ive seen anywhere in england get that cold.

managed to get to work today, driving in snow is slightly scary but immense fun :D

atholon 01-06-2010 03:03 PM

ugh I hate driving on the freeway here when it snows. People are such idiots and think that it is like any other day.

ShArP 01-06-2010 03:19 PM

Global warming!!

Ahhhhhh!!

RedrumSalad 01-06-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William (Post 360483)
last night in my area it got 19F-28F around 2am (02:00hrs)
three locations around lake city weather stations

Northern Florida, Lake City.

my aunt her home she has 5-nozzles outside PVC pipe upright about 3FT-5Ft very (for live stock water tanks and her dogs water dishes).

3-5 frozen up totally 2am. i unfreeze them! 2x it happen again around 7am, 4 out of 5 nozzles frozen up.

1x she did not set them to drip to help keep them from freezing up, at that time it was 2am (02:00hrs) i gone over and check on them.
2x i check (i got a feeling she gone outside and turn them nozzles off) around 7am (7:00hrs), i had to work on them again to get the water running again in them.

what a b*tch! i hate the freeze when it hits
who ever said the planet is getting to warmng up to much, yea right

wow, the little kids up here would be shocked, they think Florida is 75F + all year round, lol

atholon 01-06-2010 04:39 PM

It is, Chief just confined her to a walk-in freezer.

Hellfighter 01-07-2010 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
freaking cold

RedrumSalad 01-07-2010 03:11 PM

i wouldnt say that 43F is cold chief

up here in New York, the highest it gets is probably 30F

ShArP 01-07-2010 03:47 PM

it is cold when the original temperature is below 0 and the windchill makes it about 20-30 degrees colder than that

Sam 01-07-2010 04:45 PM

cheif it was like 20 this mornin

Hellfighter 01-07-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedrumSalad (Post 360520)
i wouldnt say that 43F is cold chief

up here in New York, the highest it gets is probably 30F

:confused:you need my old set of glassess to read it?

temperature reads 25.5F and not 43F
you know under that red bar

RedrumSalad 01-07-2010 06:07 PM

o, woops, lol, i was reading the forcast thing, lol