Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   News (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   BHD / C4 / DFX / JO Med Fix (UPDATED 2018/02/05) (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48565)

Coopwarriors 02-05-2018 02:04 PM

big thanks it works excellent now

Scott 02-05-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred..nl (Post 388806)
big thanks it works excellent now

:headbang:

Baldo_the_Don 02-06-2018 05:47 PM

Oh no.

The MEDs start, but the Info, Thumbnail, and Tiler tabs remain blank. No text.

I'll keep trying different compatability settings, but so far, the text didn't return 'til I uninstalled the fix.

Scott 02-06-2018 06:07 PM

Can you take a screenshot of what you mean?

Baldo_the_Don 02-07-2018 07:56 AM

9 Attachment(s)
I thought I could make a screenshot, but in the attempt to make one, new weirdness presented itself, and if I don't post a series of screenshots, you'll unlikely be able to appreciate what I'm observing...

First, I want to explain that I often start a MED by changing the display resolution to 1280×960, starting the MED, clicking the Full Screen/Windowed symbol, returning the display resolution to 1920×1080, then dragging the lower right corner of the MED window to show the entire workspace.

I do this because, in full widescreen, the area in the MED where you can select and manipulate items is wider than the area that the MED can actually display them. Simply starting in widescreen and going windowed will only almost fix this, because the part of the window where items become invisible will be gone, but you CTRL+RIGHT-CLICK to center the view on something and it's way off to the right.

That makes me seasick. I'd rather go through the whole resolution rigamarole.

Dave Barry thinks Resolution Rigamarole is a good name for a rock band.

So! Screenshots:

THEN! After all the "Sturm und Drang" I went through for that, these tab bugs stopped happening and the MED seemed to be working correctly. Or maybe it'd be better said it seemed to function as usual.

Anyway, is this just happening to me?

Scott 02-07-2018 08:41 AM

Anyone else have the issue Baldo posted? I can't seem to replicate that on my end, although I didn't go through the whole resolution change stuff.

Coopwarriors 02-07-2018 09:21 AM

yep The MEDs start, but the Info, Thumbnail, and Tiler tabs remain blank. No text.

Baldo_the_Don 02-07-2018 10:50 AM

I don't think the Resolution Rigamarole (!!!WORLDWIDESCREEN TOUR 2018!!! WITH SPECIAL GUESTS DAVE BARRY AND THE ROCK BOTTOM REMAINDERS!!!) has anything to do with it. I don't know, either, though, the testing has not been conclusive on that.

I have discovered that if you remind the system about the MED's admin rights by editing the shortcut again just before attempting to start it, it mostly works. If you start the MED and the Info tab does not immediately say "No Items Selected", try again. I'm getting acceptable results this way.

I also edited the shortcuts a level deeper to run the .exes as admin for all users, just for kicks, you know? Deactivated the system specific compatability mode as well, haven't really noticed any difference, good or bad.

[Incoming Ramble Alert!]

Maybe we're all in a special level of hell specifically for indolent NovaLogic game mappers and modders. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I've been reading too many David Wong books.

I didn't mention that over the last few days, I had to reinstall Windows 10 even though I never made a back up system image (it somehow still worked), or that even though I chose the "Preserve my files" method, it still wiped everything in the C:\Program Files (x86) directory, meaning that all the files and hundreds of hours I've spent modding effectively every game (and all your mods) I ever play was gone. It's honestly the closest I've ever been to a hefty wrist-slitting, and I've been through chemotherapy, so just imagine how I felt when I realized that the program with the virtual CD-drive I was using to save wear and tear on my Mechwarrior 3 and Pirate's Moon discs was OEM to the Windows 8 this crate came with and is possibly irretrievable, and while rummaging through the hard drive looking for its installer, I came across a folder labeled Windows.old THAT HAD ALL THE C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86) STUFF IN IT THAT I THOUGHT WAS GONE FOREVER! WINDOWS 10 SAVED THAT **** FOR ME! I WASN'T GOING TO HAVE TO RE-EDIT ALL THE MECHCOMMANDER 2 'MECHS AND PILOTS! I WASN'T GOING TO HAVE TO OH-SO-PAINFULLY REPOSITION THE CHAINSAW, PMG, AND FLAMETHROWER IN THE DFWIQ MOD! ALL THOSE SIGHT TARGAS! ALL STILL THERE!

[End Ramble]

So I guess it's not a special level of hell. The MEDs are quirky, but they're starting, so I'm chalkin' that up in the friggin' plus column, yeah.

Guest001 02-07-2018 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don (Post 388840)
I don't think the Resolution Rigamarole (!!!WORLDWIDESCREEN TOUR 2018!!! WITH SPECIAL GUESTS DAVE BARRY AND THE ROCK BOTTOM REMAINDERS!!!) has anything to do with it. I don't know, either, though, the testing has not been conclusive on that.

I have discovered that if you remind the system about the MED's admin rights by editing the shortcut again just before attempting to start it, it mostly works. If you start the MED and the Info tab does not immediately say "No Items Selected", try again. I'm getting acceptable results this way.

I also edited the shortcuts a level deeper to run the .exes as admin for all users, just for kicks, you know? Deactivated the system specific compatability mode as well, haven't really noticed any difference, good or bad.

[Incoming Ramble Alert!]

Maybe we're all in a special level of hell specifically for indolent NovaLogic game mappers and modders. Maybe it's just me. Maybe I've been reading too many David Wong books.

I didn't mention that over the last few days, I had to reinstall Windows 10 even though I never made a back up system image (it somehow still worked), or that even though I chose the "Preserve my files" method, it still wiped everything in the C:\Program Files (x86) directory, meaning that all the files and hundreds of hours I've spent modding effectively every game (and all your mods) I ever play was gone. It's honestly the closest I've ever been to a hefty wrist-slitting, and I've been through chemotherapy, so just imagine how I felt when I realized that the program with the virtual CD-drive I was using to save wear and tear on my Mechwarrior 3 and Pirate's Moon discs was OEM to the Windows 8 this crate came with and is possibly irretrievable, and while rummaging through the hard drive looking for its installer, I came across a folder labeled Windows.old THAT HAD ALL THE C:\PROGRAM FILES (X86) STUFF IN IT THAT I THOUGHT WAS GONE FOREVER! WINDOWS 10 SAVED THAT **** FOR ME! I WASN'T GOING TO HAVE TO RE-EDIT ALL THE MECHCOMMANDER 2 'MECHS AND PILOTS! I WASN'T GOING TO HAVE TO OH-SO-PAINFULLY REPOSITION THE CHAINSAW, PMG, AND FLAMETHROWER IN THE DFWIQ MOD! ALL THOSE SIGHT TARGAS! ALL STILL THERE!

[End Ramble]

So I guess it's not a special level of hell. The MEDs are quirky, but they're starting, so I'm chalkin' that up in the friggin' plus column, yeah.

M8, that's real bad news there.

I've had similar things happen since the new year.

Luckily I have Backups on external drives.

Sometimes windows just moves the whole system try Looking for a windows.old folder or some other new folder on the PC - Usually drive C

Also, try a drive recovery with software like RECUVA (this works on an ssd if you're quick) works real good on hdds and it's for free.

Baldo_the_Don 02-07-2018 11:57 PM

Off topic: Bone-chilling development... either Windows' SOP did it or I should've waited a bit to run CCleaner, but I looked in the Windows.old folder and it's basically empty. If I hadn't retrieved those files when I did, it'd be too late now. Kinda wish I could've saved my Mechwarrior 3/Pirate's Moon stuff, but I don't think I lost anything too dear to lose.

I got that virtual drive program back, too, so that's settled.

On topic: I think the MEDs are mostly under control now. I have a shortcut in the start menu folder for the consumer MED running my favorite mod, and I assigned it a key combination so if I press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+4, it starts. No Info/Thumbnail/Tiler tab glitches with it so far.

Coopwarriors 02-11-2018 07:50 AM

Hi, if I use this tool, I only need to use it once. why I ask if I do not use the med for a while. then I have to use the tool again, or work that way

greetings fred..nl

ChadB 02-11-2018 04:55 PM

Thanks a lot

It fixed the 205C med on windows 10, thank you guys.

Coopwarriors 04-02-2018 04:14 AM

Hi, I do not know if anyone else has it. But sometimes the tool works and the med worsk but.sometimes it does not work

Coopwarriors 04-07-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred..nl (Post 389243)
Hi, I do not know if anyone else has it. But sometimes the tool works and the med worsk but.sometimes it does not work

????????????

Coopwarriors 04-07-2018 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fred..nl (Post 389243)
Hi, I do not know if anyone else has it. But sometimes the tool work and the med worsk but.sometimes it does not work

Guest001 04-10-2018 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don (Post 388846)
Off topic: Bone-chilling development... either Windows' SOP did it or I should've waited a bit to run CCleaner, but I looked in the Windows.old folder and it's basically empty. If I hadn't retrieved those files when I did, it'd be too late now. Kinda wish I could've saved my Mechwarrior 3/Pirate's Moon stuff, but I don't think I lost anything too dear to lose.

I got that virtual drive program back, too, so that's settled.

On topic: I think the MEDs are mostly under control now. I have a shortcut in the start menu folder for the consumer MED running my favorite mod, and I assigned it a key combination so if I press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+4, it starts. No Info/Thumbnail/Tiler tab glitches with it so far.

I have all the above problems in Windows 10 Home

No problems in Windows 10 Pro but! it was locked down before the Creator Update.

Write permissions are still a problem but the access errors are gone with no shims needed there.

In a Windows 7 VM MEds are fine except for a slight sound delay when firing

Maverick_Y 07-22-2018 08:54 PM

good news