Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New rig :) (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45678)

.Simon. 01-07-2011 05:19 AM

New rig :)

This should probably go in the hardware section but screw it. Finally upgraded after a very long time with a 2.2 ghz dual core and DDR2 -.-

These are the new parts..

i5 760 currently @ 3.8ghz
Asus P7P55D-E
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3
Cooler Master V6 cpu cooler
Cooler Master CM-690 II Case
and a couple of fans ^^

old parts I salvaged from the old PC were

750W PSU
nVidia 9800GTX+ Overclocked
1.5Tb HDD
and another crappy little hard drive and DVD drive

Just waiting for another 1Tb hard drive to use as my main drive and then all finished :)
Shall post pics up soon.

Anyone else get a new rig lately?

Scott 01-07-2011 08:13 AM

Very nice! I haven't gotten a new computer in a long time now. Mine seems to keep pace just fine.

atholon 01-07-2011 10:30 AM

Now you just need a GTX 480 and you're golden :)

I was actually looking at that processor for a buddy of mine. He wanted to go with an i7 though. Let me know how it works out for you. Never had a quad-core.

You going to throw a SSD in there as another memory level? Would be well worth it.

.Simon. 01-07-2011 10:44 AM

Probably won't go down the SSD route for a while. I considered an i7 as well as im doing a multimedia course, but couldn't justify the extra

.Simon. 01-07-2011 10:47 AM

Wtf? It won't let me post my full reply =/

atholon 01-07-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Simon. (Post 370875)
Probably won't go down the SSD route for a while. I considered an i7 as well as im doing a multimedia course, but couldn't justify the extra

My boss got one from a Kingston seminar he went to, they gave him a free 64 gb SSD. He stuck it in this puny Netbook, started it up, it loaded windows xp in under 5 seconds. I was very impressed. I actually debated getting one for Christmas since HDD are the biggest bottleneck now.

SilentTrigger 01-07-2011 12:48 PM

Would be awsome to have one as memory in Win 7 64bit but they ware a bit pricy when I got my computer put togather so I never went for one :(

64gb extra memory wouldn't be bad! :D

Don't know how good readyboost is as I've not yet tried it. Anyone tried readyboost? :)

Anyways, would be great as just a hard drive, perfect for recording games with such as Fraps :D

.Simon. 01-07-2011 12:52 PM

Yeah I've heard good things about SSD. The price puts me off though. Hopefully they'll kill off HDDs, drop in price and then i'll invest ^^

SilentTrigger 01-07-2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by .Simon. (Post 370880)
Yeah I've heard good things about SSD. The price puts me off though. Hopefully they'll kill off HDDs, drop in price and then i'll invest ^^

About the same here currently, also the capacity is a limiting factor still but that will soon be a problem that's forever forgotten! :read: