Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Force (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=101)
-   -   [DFBHD] Alternate map editor? (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48110)

Kattoor 04-07-2017 03:35 AM

Alternate map editor?

Has there ever been an attempt to make a new map editor for dfbhd or another DF game? Especially since the .mis files are just clear text it doesn't seem that hard to make something in Unity or some other existing 3D engine?

Scott 04-07-2017 09:28 AM

I don't believe anyone has ever tried that. The editor actually exports the mis to a bms file which is the actual map.

Guest001 04-07-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kattoor (Post 386507)
Especially since the .mis files are just clear text it doesn't seem that hard to make something in Unity or some other existing 3D engine?

Making a unique Editor would be a huge project but you're very close in the second point because you can edit the (human readable) MIS and see results in the engine output.

Kattoor 04-07-2017 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 386508)
I don't believe anyone has ever tried that. The editor actually exports the mis to a bms file which is the actual map.

Yep, I noticed. But as I probably won't be able to figure out how the binary map file is constructed; I would let the user generate a .mis file which they could import in the actual mission editor to build the binary map file.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stompem (Post 386509)
Making a unique Editor would be a huge project but you're very close in the second point because you can edit the (human readable) MIS and see results in the engine output.

I wouldn't create my own 3D rendering software as I lack the needed mathematical knowledge :p I would just use Unity 3D and implement this tool instead of a game with it.
The only obstacle is displaying the actual gameobjects.
Any of you know whether there exists a dump of all ingame models such as the buildings and cars etc? Or is it just a standard 3D format in which these files are saved? I haven't had the time to look at this yet.

Scott 04-07-2017 12:28 PM

The formats are all a modified version of 3di. You can find pretty much all the tools you would need on this website for making or editing them.

Not sure but this might be helpful: http://novahq.net/files.php?ID=196

Guest001 04-07-2017 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kattoor (Post 386510)
Yep, I noticed. But as I probably won't be able to figure out how the binary map file is constructed; I would let the user generate a .mis file which they could import in the actual mission editor to build the binary map file.

I wouldn't create my own 3D rendering software as I lack the needed mathematical knowledge :p I would just use Unity 3D and implement this tool instead of a game with it.
The only obstacle is displaying the actual gameobjects.
Any of you know whether there exists a dump of all ingame models such as the buildings and cars etc? Or is it just a standard 3D format in which these files are saved? I haven't had the time to look at this yet.

It's my guess it's entirely feasible to tie the logic and syntax for the mis instructions into an app.

I don't know of any database or set of instructions at that level but there have been quite a few modified editors produced for these games.

The thing about studying it is some changes to the mis script are immediately reflected in the editor, others are only visible by their effects in-game.

RE: Objects
You can incorporate new objects into a unique PFF (the container format for the game objects) - in other words a Mod.

From there you'd have a place to experiment.

There are plenty of modding tools available here at NHQ.

I hope I'm on track with what you're asking.

Good luck with the project, it sounds like a 10/10 to me and I'd like to see it in action if you ever post it here.

:gj:

Kattoor 04-11-2017 12:57 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

I was unable to find any resources on converting a 3di file to a known format.
As THQ Nordic has bought NovaLogic's IP rights, I sent them a request for releasing info about the proprietary 3di format. Right now I have had some contact with Reinhard Pollice, who seems to be the Studio Director of THQ Nordic.

On a sidenote: df4oed (developed by NovaLogic?) won't even let me view 3di files without crashing :(

Guest001 04-11-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kattoor (Post 386524)

As THQ Nordic has bought NovaLogic's IP rights, I sent them a request for releasing info about the proprietary 3di format. Right now I have had some contact with Reinhard Pollice, who seems to be the Studio Director of THQ Nordic.

On a sidenote: df4oed (developed by NovaLogic?) won't even let me view 3di files without crashing :(

You probably know by now that NL used 3D Studio Max but perhaps Blender can handle it and maybe the OED tool can convert the exports.
:dontknow:

Guest001 04-11-2017 02:20 PM

BHD MOD Tools
REF: Object Creation Tutorial.pdf

Quote:

2 Mod Tools Overview
You need to follow a sequence of steps to create a new mod object for Black Hawk Down.
This summary will give you an idea of what’s required. You can refer back to this list after you’ve
gone through the tutorial. Later in the document, each step is explained in more detail.
1) Create your object in 3D Studio Max
a. Draw & name the different parts of your object so they will work in the game
b. Export the object into an .ASE file format (save it in your working directory)
2) Edit the object in the NovaLogic Object Editor (OED)
a. Import the .ASE file into the OED
b. Edit the object in OED, adding specific attributes to your object
c. Export the OED object to create the .3DA file
3) Add the object to the Item Definition file
4) Pack the object into your mod file (e.g. MyMod.PFF)
5) Insert the object to a Black Hawk Down mission using the Mission Editor (MED)
6) Pack the mission into your mod file
7) Run your mod and play!
Tip: To run Black Hawk Down with your new objects and missions, run this
command from the game directory, or create a shortcut:
dfbhd /mod MyMod.
Tip: To run the Mission Editor with new objects in your mod, run this command from
the game directory, or create a shortcut with these parameters:
dfbhdmed /mod MyMod

--BulletMagnet-- 04-11-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

I also contacted THQ Nordic to see if they would release any info on Nova file formats but never got a response.

~BLÃÐE~ 04-28-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

If you happen to have an old version of MilkShape 1.7.0 you can import BHD items and export to .obj to use in 3DMax

On a side note: 3DMAX is free if you register as a student