PDA

View Full Version : My review on DFTFD. (Only ½ done)

Scott
06-25-2002, 03:27 PM
Hello there. I have just got back from the store and installed TFD. I would like to say first of all. This is what nova-logic should have done with lw. Nova and Zombie did a great job! There are many new things, and a lot of bugs fixed. More will be added to this review, once I get more time to play the game lol. We will have a review on the maps and the weapons. Here is my ½ done review:

First I would like to show you some high quality (1024x768) screen shots from the single player games. Download them <a href="/files/dfhqtfdss.zip">here</a>.

First thing I did was of course, went in to multiplayer. Already there were loads of players and a full page of servers for me to join. Joining my first game I was excited to see what was coming. I was impressed. The graphics, the sounds, the fresh new feeling of a new game. I was amazed, and will not be going back to lw. The only bad thing I experienced at first, was in a stock TDM map, can’t remember the name, there was a good sized glitch on the top of some of the buildings. That isn’t good .Going back out to get a good look of the lobby and that, there is now a ping option so you can use check your pings! That's a great feature, but it takes a bit of time to load if you are on a slow connection. Then I took a trip and registered my account. This is not a good thing. Cause if someone steals your name, you are screwed. Luckily none of my names were taken, but I did have to go into my df3 account and change them names so I can use them in TFD. Get your name fast! I am looking at the pages and I see the tourney server’s link again. Why is this here? When will it ever be used?

Now for the best part: New features and some old.

The weapons. There are many new weapons to choose from, the secondary weapons are a lot more powerful or just as powerful. I went with the mag as my first weapon. For you mag lovers out there, it is less accurate, but is still a good weapon. It will just take some time to get used to. The sounds of all the weapons are much better. <a href="http://novalogic.com/games/DFTFD/weapons.html" target="_blank">Here is a list of weapons to choose from</a>. Take note, that they are all not posted there. We will have weapon reviews and pics of all of them in a short while.

The graphics. The graphics are better. They are smoother, the terrain is smoother and the game play seems smoother. Just look at the screen shots.

Objects. For you map making lovers out there, there are sooo many new and better objects for you to choose from! This is a big plus for me. Now that there are more objects, I will be able to make better and more maps. Just looking through the med, there are like 2x the objects that I see in the DFLW med.

Here is a list of things I noticed that are new, the same or different from DF:LW.
There is no more double loading your rockets.
The black dot is still there.
There are many new objects. :D
The weapons have been balanced out.
The terrain is smoother.
There are lots more sniper rifles
The weapon choice is outrageous! Lots to choose from!
The sounds, oh the sounds are great! I love them!
The AI is still dumb as all hell.
The skins! I love the skins! They are great, more detailed.
Jump prone is not possible. It's the same with lw.
The game runs smoother.
There is no more MM1.
Terrains are much better!
With the sniper char, it is possible to get out of prone faster!

This is all I have for now; this is all in about 30 minutes of playing lol. And my first 2 kills were a head shot and a knife! Beat that! There will be a lot more added to this review very soon! But not, I am off to play some!

Steve
06-25-2002, 04:19 PM
hehe ur review is torture for us Euros m8 :(

lol sounds good man :gj:

Unregistered
06-25-2002, 05:20 PM
wanted to say i have the new TFD and it kicks ass and its a lot better then the lw one we are so used to playing nova out did themselves on this one

Soldier X
06-25-2002, 05:56 PM
Jesus why do you guys allways get everything before us euro's :(......Just once id like to get and play a game to make you guys jealous :D

by the time we get it there will be 15000 elite usa players and 50 million cheats again :(

Unregistered
06-25-2002, 08:46 PM
Great job on reporting! Quick too. :)

Scott
06-25-2002, 09:33 PM
If you were good in lw, you will be good in this. It's like a diffrent game, but a whole new one at the same time. It's what lw should have been. There is no grass, but it has the major df2 update feel to it. The buildings and stuff, but it has a lw feeling to it also. It's a good buy for only 30 bucks and I suggest you all buy it. You will not be disapointed. I haven't herd a dissapointed person yet. (asking in game servers).

Ice Cannon
06-25-2002, 09:58 PM
grrrrr......I have half a mind to get a copy sent over from the us :) sept it will cost me nearly double...hmmmm

Unregistered
06-26-2002, 01:51 AM
Can u still shoot through buildings? Does anyone know?

§able
06-26-2002, 02:29 AM
Well... sorry to burst your bubble but here's your first negative about TFD. The good, the bad, and the ugly...

The game just doesn't deliver. If you were eagerly awaiting the return of the M4/203 forget it. Yes it is there, so is a M16A2/203 but neither one has a scope. Recoil for the two is the same as LW, so yeah... they're both worthless.

OICW has been degraded to 4x scope. PSG-1 gets an upgrade to a 6x w/ a faster rate of fire. Well good for the PSG but why use it? There is a Silenced M4 w/ a 4x scope and is fully auto. Whoa, 4 or 5 silenced M4's on a team full of skilled players = a lot of frustration and pain for the other team. It's all good, i can dig it...

So you're a Sniper?? You'll be happy, you have about 5 rifles to choose from. Each with a unique sound and style. Make your mark and be feared :) The M40 and it's similar buds all sound good, if you are a .50 man... you will probably be disapointed with it's new sound. Yeah, it's weak and gay...of course they changed it, i think it's DF law or something that the .50 must have a new sound every game. :(

But then there's the maps. Play on Nova, TKOTH and CTF have a 3 map cycle and all 3 are the same exact maps. Except of course, tkoth has it's zone, and ctf has it's flags. Those 3 maps, of which only one is really decent, will be old very fast. 1 is just an absolute at-4/nade fest as it is extremely small. All i gotta say is Thank God the MM-1 is gone.

Stock maps you ask? Terrible. Most are very small and take place on the peak of a hill. Fall off the ledge, have fun gettin back up. Might as well kill yourself.

TKOTH?? of the 5 maps, 1 is EXCELLENT. I will give it that. Quite possibly one of the greatest TKOTH maps ever. However, the other 4 are sorry. All either have tiny impossible zones to defend, or just extremely hard to even get to the zone.

CTF?? lol, not very well done either. Take the spawns, the flags and the poles and cram them within 200m and that is what most of the ctf maps look like.

So what is really disapointing? All the beloved females characters are gone. So much for the blonde beaut i've used ever since DF1. The battlefield has a much different sound to it now... the culprit being the next item mainly.

What's the gun to use? Well, right now it seems to be the M60. It is a super Fn Mag. Shoots 1100m with accuracy and ease and has it's own silencer. Yeah, the thing sounds like a damn paintball gun. That's the only way i can think to describe it. Anytime someone is shooting at you with one from 200m and up... well, best of luck because it's going to take you some time to figure out where the shots are comming from that's how quiet the damn thing is.

Balance back in the game?? LOL. Yeah right. That'll be the day.

Took me about 4 hours, i played around 8 today..... to get sick of this one. I felt like i needed to get $30 worth out of it lol. Anyway,...If TFD was to LW as Desert Siege is Ghost Recon. This might have been a great addition to the series. I'd say if you are unsure about the game just wait til Black Hawk Down comes out. There is a trailer on the TFD and it looks mighty impressive.

katana*GFR*
06-26-2002, 03:00 AM
Well ive been reading through all messages and cant wait till its out overhere.
Only 1 thing that aint correct from what i saw in the msg
'The FN-MAG is a pinpoint accuracy weapon so thats a bummer that theve made it less accurate, I know this cause i had the good fun to shoot with it on the firing range. Yes im a soldier and yes i love shooting (but only on the firing range or in a DF game lol)So i think i need to write those Nova dudes a letter rofl.
Well i want it 2 and i forgot when it came out overhere, bummer ill just go to the store and ask it.

MrB50
06-26-2002, 10:13 AM
Well, I love it so far. My neighbor is an athiest and says there is no God, well, there must be one above cause the MM1 is finally gone. Plus, he blessed us with the Mag being less accurate. LOL I like the Mag, but, n DFLW my prefered weapons are G11 and .50 cal. G11 is gone in TFD, and that sucks. But, the secondary weapon, the scaled down Styer, is awesome. Lots of stopping power for a sidearm. The M60 is awesome too. I carried one in Desert Storm and loved it. Just glad they didnt make it really realistic where you burn up your barrel is you fire too long. LOL I like this game alot. Dissapointed that tne female characters are gone though. I always got compliments on my characters T*&S. LOL I just cant wait till people make utilities for it like no CD patch.

Unregistered
06-26-2002, 01:45 PM
where did find it??.........I've been to several stores and couldn't find it.

~locutus~
06-26-2002, 08:34 PM
I tried 3 Wal Marts, 2 Best Buy's and 1 CompUsa and couldn't find it.............any ideas??

Scott
06-26-2002, 09:30 PM
Just keep trying and calling.. You'll get it soon :)

SpitFire
07-02-2002, 02:12 PM
Ok..... I Preordered it from best buy around 5-26-02... it said it was already out... i already knew it wasnt out yet but i preordered it. best buy emailed me with a conifrmation email like 2 weeks from when i bought it. and so it said it would be there in 5-7 days. and then it changed its release date to 6-27-02 . and it should have came already but its not here... its starting to piss me off. and also im starting a squad with a friend for TFD and we cant think of a name for the team if anyone reads this and thinks of some good ones email me at LilMan263@cfl.rr.com