Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:46 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

I'll try that step next.

I did just check the security tab on the Novalogic folder and noted that under the BESITZER-ERSTELLER (Owner-Creator) account that no permissions were activated, and upon editing that, it now has just the Special Rights activated, and a pair of special rights accounts were created that can view, read, and run things in this folder, but not write.

I'll see if this helps after the next system start, 'cause for some reason, after the system's been running a while and put in and taken out of standy-by mode a few times, the MEDs start without a hitch.

So... fingers crossed!

I've mentioned access rights and permissions under the security tabs in a lot of trouble-shooting posts before, and it's SOP for me to confirm permission settings when I install any older games anyway, but it hadn't occurred to me 'til you brought it up that, perhaps, the updates are messing with the permissions.

That would be insidious, wouldn't it? I think that would be classifiable as insidious.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:41 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo_the_Don View Post
I'll try that step next.

I did just check the security tab on the Novalogic folder and noted that under the BESITZER-ERSTELLER (Owner-Creator) account that no permissions were activated, and upon editing that, it now has just the Special Rights activated, and a pair of special rights accounts were created that can view, read, and run things in this folder, but not write.

I'll see if this helps after the next system start, 'cause for some reason, after the system's been running a while and put in and taken out of standy-by mode a few times, the MEDs start without a hitch.

So... fingers crossed!

I've mentioned access rights and permissions under the security tabs in a lot of trouble-shooting posts before, and it's SOP for me to confirm permission settings when I install any older games anyway, but it hadn't occurred to me 'til you brought it up that, perhaps, the updates are messing with the permissions.

That would be insidious, wouldn't it? I think that would be classifiable as insidious.
I've suspected a new security hoodoo hex from the word go really.

I think many of the malfunctions I'm experiencing are caused by this new implementation.

It's affecting many other programs especially programs that write data.

For instance I have to completely rebuild most of my own programs now, they have to write vars to temp.

User data to appdata and program data to programdata but they can't write to Program Files or Program Files (x86).

Not without a whole mess of script which has to be externalised because the run-time has to actually execute from the local temp folder.

I gather that this was always the case for NT file systems but it was not as rigorous, getting permissions now is almost impossible.

Old 01-09-2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
That VirtualStore folder is where Win10 shunts files created or changed by executables that do not have the required admin rights to access the hard drive. It's like a preemptive quarantine. The MED being forced to leave the MEDP1BCK.MIS and MEDP2BCK.MIS there shows that the MEDs are not running with admin rights for some reason. Your assessment that Win10 keeps 'forgetting' the MEDs admin rights seems correct, Stomps.

Note: I did find an old MEDP1BCK.MIS directly in the VirtualStore folder. The most recent MEDP1BCK.MIS and MEDP2BCK.MIS are on the C: drive itself, and there is no Novalogic folder at all in my VirtualStore, so Win10 is not shunting NL files on my system at all.
Good work Baldo and it is interesting isn't it?

Though perplexing it does confirm some regularity in the issue so maybe some conclusions can be drawn from this.

Such as when you take into account the registry issue could be very well be related to the virtualisation issue, you can see that maybe it's not DirectX or Video drivers etc.

(Although you do need DirectDraw enabled in Pro versions)

So perhaps it's a few less things to worry about?
Old 01-10-2018, 01:49 AM

Have a look in here...

Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node
Old 01-10-2018, 01:55 AM

and here...

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\VirtualStore
Old 01-10-2018, 01:57 AM

Code:
HKEY_USERS\Your Account No.\Software\Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\NovaLogic\Delta Force Xtreme 2\1.00.0000

One More.. probably default for new users with same path

Classes\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE
Old 01-10-2018, 02:44 AM

There are so many references that it's no wonder it's hard to fix.

I've no way to tell at this stage if this "tweak" is from Nvidia or Microsoft and if it has any influence on the situation... there goes any surety about what's happening.

Code:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak\NvCplAppNamesStored
Old 01-10-2018, 02:50 AM

Telemetry Data

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\TelemetryClient\ThrottleStore\watson\generic\generic\pca2\p1dfbhdmed.exep21.0.0.1p3dfvmeddp4novalogic dfvmeddp5novalogicp6100p71
Old 01-10-2018, 04:08 AM

Have a look at this key - It'll blow your mind!

Code:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store
Old 01-28-2018, 09:47 AM

So, you know how some people are really smart and some are not so much? For some reason... I don't know, childhood head injury or something maybe, I haven't got time to go into it... it didn't occur to me 'til a few days ago to check the Windows event protocols after a failed MED start. And it's the damndest thing! Right there, in black and white, this:

"Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: KERNELBASE.dll, Version: 10.0.16299.15, Zeitstempel: 0x2cd1ce3d"

Now, I understand that the vast majority of you don't read german, but I'm betting you're all clever enough that the word KERNELBASE.dll jumped right out at you. It did to me.

Googling around the last few minutes, I've found that, apparently, a borked KernelBase.dll has been breaking games and game-related programs since at least 2015 [Edit: 2012], as well as all kinds of other shennanigans.

It was right there in the protocol. The whole time.

I'm beginning to suspect that I'm not actually part of the solution.

Can anyone do something with this information?
Old 01-29-2018, 07:20 AM

What I gather from this Baldo is that it probably isn't what you may think.

I don't think the kernel is the current blame for the issue.

From what you're saying you'd agree it's been like that a long time and so we've been using compatibility fixes for years to overcome it.

So now I think it's simply a case of the fix that no longer works.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:35 AM
FrankyTheTank is offline FrankyTheTank

its a mission editor by some1 ?

what dll´s that executable does load useally it useally tells where it was coded at ?
is ist packet/crypted ?
you might have the author of this tool in contact ?

win32 is a good standart what useally works from windows 95-windows10

vb, c#(framework), mfc, old packers/crypters,java

got compatibility issues a lot more often

the content here is incredible cant believe how many has been done over all these years
Old 01-30-2018, 04:05 PM

REF: DF2 Evo win 10? by Armyofrage

DF2 Evo win 10?
Windows gave me the option to turn on Direct Play when I first ran DFX2 in Windows 10.

So I was just browsing to the Direct Play location in the video to have a look.

I noticed asp.net 4.7 doesn't appear to be fully enabled.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the MEd issues?

I'm not in a position to test that at the moment - I'm still in the process of stabilising this system so I don't want to risk it at present - any brave souls out there?
Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM
FrankyTheTank is offline FrankyTheTank

i also saw that dplay routines in dplay.dll

to handle its browser also a dll was used , also the packet encryption where i thought it was sha1 or something
Old 01-31-2018, 12:02 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Fix for the med here:

http://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48565

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-22-2018, 12:07 AM

New Security Account INTERACTIVE

A new install of DFBHD in Windows 10 Home:

Drive C - Program Files (x86) - Novalogic - Delta Force Black Hawk Down

This creates an account called INTERACTIVE - which appears in the properties sheet of the desktop shortcut - (Right click shortcut - Left click tabs - Properties - Security)
Old 05-28-2018, 01:12 AM

ALL MEds working!
Old 05-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Just did a quick click-around on the security tab and estabished that "INTERACTIVE" is a security principal you can manually add to the list. A reinstallation may not be mandatory. Can you list the permissions the INTERACTIVE entry has?

And do you mean the MEDs are working without installing the MED Fix?
Old 05-28-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Just did a quick click-around on the security tab and estabished that "INTERACTIVE" is a security principal you can manually add to the list. A reinstallation may not be mandatory. Can you list the permissions the INTERACTIVE entry has?

And do you mean the MEDs are working without installing the MED Fix?
I think the former was a red herring but!

I now use Authenticated Users set to edit the wac from (x86).

I use the following settings...
Modify
Read & execute
List folder contents
Read
Write

The MEDs are all working for me without any shims, I'm using Windows 10 Home, Asia Pacific Region.

Fixed since a major Update on 05/28/2018

Correction!
- Feature update to Windows 10, version 1803
Successfully installed on ‎26/‎05/‎2018