Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 06-14-2017, 11:35 AM
OlderStreetrat is offline OlderStreetrat

Guess Who's Back?

Howdy fellers,

After a couple of months of much trial and error, hair pullin', cussin' and frustration, I have come to the ultimate conclusion that I am either an idiot or some of these much needed programs just won't work on a Windows 10 computer.

I've got the how to build and export to the OED then to 3di figured out. I've got the .wav situation figured out, like, how to make them and such. The one thing, which in my opinion is the most important thing, is I can't get them into the damn game.

I have tried every pack program I can find and searched everywhere for instructions on just HOW to use them. The only two I've gotten to even semi-cooperate are the PFF3 program and the PFF Editor.

With the PFF3, when I try to open a .pff file, I get an error saying the file is corrupted or not there but I can open it with Jackyl's Pff opener. With the PFF Editor, as soon as I open the program I get an error saying a component isn't registered or is missing. The component is in the folder, I just don't know how to register it. I have attached a screenshot.

I even tried deleting a .3di and replacing it through Jackyl's but when I try to add it in a map it throws a NULL.

So, if one of you fine gentlemen could kindly explain to me how to get from the OED into the .pff directory so I can add it to the map, I would be most grateful. Now, I'm not talking about a brand new building or vehicle here, I'm just talking about a re-materialed <--- Stupid word, I know, object. I know for a new object I have to add it to the ITEMS.def and other things.

Oh yeah, the game I'm now tinkering around with is good 'ole BHD.

Thanks fellers
Street
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017-06-14_1211.png (18.7 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-14-2017, 06:53 PM
~BLÃÐE~ is offline ~BLÃÐE~

Send a message via ICQ to ~BLÃÐE~
Try using PFF7 v0.7 but i have heard someone else have problems with Win10 and the PFF
You need to add the items to the ITEMS.def first
PFF > Localres.pff >items.def
Decrypt it with the DeSCR.exe tool. This will change it to text format. Add info and Encrypt it with same tool.

Drop the item.def into your BHD game folder with you 3di's and tga/dds images
Add a (space)/d to the end of your short cut
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Delta Force Black Hawk Down\dfbhd.exe" /d
This will read from the game directory and what ever you put in it.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:22 PM

try this PFF7 Editor, it is different from the NovaHQ and one on my site.
http://www.nova-outpost.com/uploads/.../2_FwOPff7.zip
Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 PM

With the PFF editor i just right click on an open .pff file and click on Add File.
You can batch about 14 files at a time, any more and it will crash.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:52 AM

Hey Blade

I already have that one and when I try to load it I get an error message. I attached a screenshot. Unless I'm doing it wrong maybe?

Oh, and do I have to re-add an item to the ITEMS.def file if I just take it out, edit the material and then just re-add it to the .pff? No other changes than the material.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2017-06-15_0848.png (10.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-15-2017, 03:01 PM

Ok

Put the cabash on that last post from me, I got PFF7 to work, somehow. Now all I need to know is, does an item have to be replaced in the ITEMS.def folder if only the material has been changed and would I still have to run that with the \d at the end of the address string? I'm trying to figure out how mods like Black ops and SnA did theirs without having to do that.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:17 AM

So you have used the 3di viewer to see which skins belong to the 3di, you have re skinned then and put back into game.

If you only reskinned the textures then NO you don't need to touch the items.def.
If you have NEW items (building) then yes you need to add it into the items.def

Reguarding the /d that is just a simple way to get things working, you need to pack it eventually into the pff. Personally i only pack it once when ready or else you will be adding/deleting/replacing files and it will start stuffing up on you by not register some files, caches old files rather than replace then...
Old 06-16-2017, 07:05 AM

Well ...

[QUOTE=~BLÃÐE~;386859]So you have used the 3di viewer to see which skins belong to the 3di, you have re skinned then and put back into game.[QUOTE]

This part, no.

I could never get the 3di viewer to work. What I did first is take a Cargo Container .obj and alter the material in Photoshop. I then exported it out as an ASE file and then into the OED and out as a 3di. Then I found the exact item in the resource .pff, deleted the active one and replaced it with the one I altered with the add function in Jackyl's PFF editor. When I tried to add it in a map it threw a null.

I tried the same thing with the AK47 Crate, only this time I tried using one of the only 2 Pack applications that I thought were working and it did the same thing. However, I haven't tried anything since I got PFF7 working. I'm assuming that I will have to go the ITEMS.def route if i use any .obj item, which by the way I would love to learn how to do (convert 3di to .obj) and then convert it to 3di and place it in game.

On a side note, I'm starting a project today that I sincerely hope modders from all over that are still interested in the games will take part in.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:18 PM

Ok i have not tried that way to do it.

I use MilkShape to convert the BHD 3DI's to .obj files and Photoshop to edit the tga/dds images.
Then import into 3DMAX (which is free), add collision boxes to item so you can't walk through them.

Save a ASE, import into df4OED editor (don't use SuperOED), save as container.3di (use original name)

Using PFF editor, delete original files, add new file and images
Old 06-16-2017, 05:19 PM

Hmmm.

I've got MilkShape, had it for quite a while now but never really use it. I also have 3ds Max, Blender and Daz 3D.

Thanks for lettin' me know I can use MS to convert 3di to .obj.

Here's how my usual workflow goes:

I open an .obj file from DFX2 or JO into Blender, mainly because I just can't seem to get the hang of 3ds Max and I'm much better with Blender. One I get everything unpacked, find all the materials and such I will open up trusty Photoshop and do whatever it is I'm going to to the .targa file and make any changes to the object itself, very rare, in Blender. The I will export out of Blender as an .obj file and open up 3ds Max and import that .obj file and just turn right around and export it out as an .ase. From there I import it into the OED but up till now I haven't had any luck using either the OED or SuperOED, but I think that's simply because I just haven't figured it out yet. I did get those two files exported as 3di files but was unable to work with them in the OED otherwise. I was also told once that OED was for BHD backwards and SuperOED was for JO onwards.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:39 PM

correct SuperOED is for JO
When you import into 3dmax you might have to change the names
e.g. Cargo01 to 01cargo

i will have a look at it and get back to you shortly
Old 06-16-2017, 06:12 PM

With MilkShape you will need the BHD plugin which i can give you if needed. The plugin only works on the early version 1.7.0

i re read some of this, you only want to change the skins right?
Simply grab the .dds to suit. e.g Cargo1.3di (closed door container) skin is LCargo.dds
Edit the .dds in Photoshop (might need plugin), delete old image from PFF, add new new skin to PFF

You shouldn't have to do anything with the 3di if you just want to change the skin.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Thanks a bunch! I'll check my version of Milkshape, I'm pretty sure it's a newer version though.

I'll give that a try tomorrow and see if it works the way I want it to. Right now I'm hip deep in this new project, which I really hope catches on with modders that are still interested in the games. I've noticed recently that the games are becoming popular again.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:29 PM

OK, let's just say for ****s and giggles that I have a .3di item from, say, the Terranova EXP Mod for BHD and I want to put it in the original BHD game, because I can't get the TN EXP to work due to an I/O Error. What would I have to do? No modding of the item at all. Just extracting it out of the EXP folder and placing it in the original BHD game.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderStreetrat View Post
OK, let's just say for ****s and giggles that I have a .3di item from, say, the Terranova EXP Mod for BHD and I want to put it in the original BHD game, because I can't get the TN EXP to work due to an I/O Error. What would I have to do? No modding of the item at all. Just extracting it out of the EXP folder and placing it in the original BHD game.
Just add info to items.def and add items to pff
Let me know which item and i will give you the info to add

You will first need the coding from the TN Exp items.def and transfer it to the BHD items.def
Then pack it all into the PFF
Old 06-18-2017, 06:59 AM

Alright, let's say I want to add WSHACK1.3di to BHD. I've already de-crypted both ITEMS.def files. Here's the one from TN EXP for the Shack:

begin "EXP - Wooden shack w/camo netting"
id 104261
type building
graphic Wshack1
husk Wshk1xa
hp 1000
armor 20
score 50
heatsig 500
radarsig 500
ai_function bld2
render_function grnc
move_function upfx
particledeath Effect_CrateEXPS
sounddeath EXPLO_BLDGWOOD
end

So all I would need to do is copy that into the BHD ITEMS.def and then pack it? What about the MED and getting it in it?
Old 06-18-2017, 05:14 PM

Wshack1 is the model (working model)
Wshack1xa is the husk (destroyed model)
change the id number to 107001 so it doesn't clash with current id in BHD

begin "EXP - Wooden shack w/camo netting"
id 107001
type building
graphic Wshack1
husk Wshk1xa
hp 1000
armor 20
score 50
heatsig 500
radarsig 500
ai_function bld2
render_function grnc
move_function upfx
particledeath Effect_CrateEXPS
sounddeath EXPLO_BLDGWOOD
end

Yes now copy to BHD items.def, encrypt and repack with items

MedEditor should show items once packed into it.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:05 AM

Awesome! Ok, so if there is an item that isn't already in the original, I wouldn't have to change the id number would I? And when you say encrypt, I'm assuming you mean encrypt the ITEMS.def? I just want you to know, I really appreciate all this help Blade. Making maps was my forte back in the day, I just wish I still had all of 'em lol
Old 06-20-2017, 04:15 AM

If that id is already in use it will throw thing out of wack by showing wrong item.
I like to start with an id above that used in BHD e.g. 107000 so i know it won't clash

Ok just doubled checked, that id 104261 is not used in BHD so you can use it, in saying that i have not checked against BHDTS

oh, yes i did mean encrypt the items.def before repacking back into pff, but you already know that

Glad to help where i can buddy
Old 06-30-2017, 01:59 PM

Alrighty then! I can not get either the old OED OR the SuperOED to show rendered objects. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong or they just won't work on my computer. I have extracted and decrypted .3di files from BHD as well as JO with no modification what-so-ever and in all cases but one they will not show in rendered or wire view when I choose the "View 3di" option. I've also tried it by not decrypting the files. I've put the programs in the same folders as the games and nothing works. I'm at a loss.