Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Novahq.net Specific > News

News News and comment posting for the main page. Use this forum to submit your news.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

DF2 UN-FREEZE fix official release

So, with help from a dude who I only know as Frank, I’ve made a patch that allows you to unfreeze your DF2 game. With this patch, when your game freezes, simply press the INSERT key on your keyboard the game should resume like normal. After you download it, replace all the files in your games folder with the contents of the "DF2Fixes" folder. PLEASE read the readme.txt for help or post here. Again, when you appear to freeze while playing DF2, if you have this patch installed, you can simply press the INSERT key on your keyboard and the game will resume like normal. You’ll keep your score and everything.

This fix is compatible with any server, including DF2 EVO servers. As well as all COOP and Single Player! Literally any DF2 server or game. Press the INSERT key to unfreeze your game when it appears frozen.

DOWNLOAD THE PATCH HERE: http://novahq.net/files.php?ID=540
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DF2.jpg
Views:	35629
Size:	500.0 KB
ID:	3825  

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 12-30-2017, 08:26 PM
Sil is offline Sil

Top work Scott (as always) and the elusive Freeza

I tried to find you a while ago, to no avail, for assistance with a DF1 32 player patch.

Scott forwarded your patch the other week and it works perfectly
Old 12-31-2017, 03:37 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

That's right I have to post that patch as well. I updated the heartbeat dll to work with it already and will do the same to the host tool soon. Awesome work! Wish I had that sort of knowledge! Maybe one day

Old 12-31-2017, 02:08 PM
--BulletMagnet-- is offline --BulletMagnet--
DF2 Forever

Send a message via MSN to --BulletMagnet--
I have to ask. How?

As a programmer, I'm usually leery of 3rd party freeze/crash fixers as it's probably best to let the game/app crash naturally. That applies more to SP games with a save system, though. I bet it's fine for DF2 multiplayer.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:33 PM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

My guess is the game gets stuck in an infinite loop while rendering some graphics / specific parts of objects. This patch basically ends the loop which allows the game to continue as normal.

The way my patch works, when the game is frozen, pressing the inert key changes a few bytes in the games memory. Then as soon as it's unfrozen, changes the bytes back to what they were before the freeze so there are no lasting effects. Otherwise, you'd get some serious graphics issues. I don't think freeze is the right word, but it's what everyone has called it because it always appeared frozen, when really it was just stuck in a loop.

Old 12-31-2017, 05:02 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
nice
Old 01-02-2018, 01:49 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
My guess is the game gets stuck in an infinite loop while rendering some graphics / specific parts of objects. This patch basically ends the loop which allows the game to continue as normal.

The way my patch works, when the game is frozen, pressing the inert key changes a few bytes in the games memory. Then as soon as it's unfrozen, changes the bytes back to what they were before the freeze so there are no lasting effects. Otherwise, you'd get some serious graphics issues. I don't think freeze is the right word, but it's what everyone has called it because it always appeared frozen, when really it was just stuck in a loop.
There's a scenario where the activated loop is faster than the script can be read and so it misses the return or command to read next line.

Your fix may give it time to do so.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:13 AM
Seahawk is offline Seahawk

Good patch! My DF2 crash is very usual.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 PM
Bustin is offline Bustin
DF2 Forever

Patch works wonders.

Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 PM
Hambone is offline Hambone

UnFreeze, yes please

Just installed the DF2Patch files and it did make the lobby text clearer and created a new startup screen, but pressing the Insert button when game froze up did nothing on 3 different computers. I even loaded these files on the Host computer. These freeze ups are so frustrating, this would be such a great feature to have. Any ideas, and thanks in advance.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:46 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
Just installed the DF2Patch files and it did make the lobby text clearer and created a new startup screen, but pressing the Insert button when game froze up did nothing on 3 different computers. I even loaded these files on the Host computer. These freeze ups are so frustrating, this would be such a great feature to have. Any ideas, and thanks in advance.
Download the game from here: http://novahq.net/files.php?ID=581

This is the full game with EVO mod. All you need to do is download it, unzip it to your desktop and click df2.exe to play. Try playing with that version of the game to see if you can unfreeze pressing the insert key. Not had any complaints about it not working like that yet.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:31 PM
JZL is offline JZL

Whats the behaviour of mouse gestures and keys pressed during freeze? Is that locked or could you 'invisibly' move as a freezer?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:17 PM
FrankyTheTank is offline FrankyTheTank

i think it unlocks where delta force 2 got stuck this had to be done in the right way it then can continue

the error is not fully known but the part is in a draw function

i think the problem was that we could not make the error happen so we could deeper look what it is (that solution is old)

since the code doesnt crash it doesnt leave a sysdump.txt
but that could be done if we make a error if it apears maybe we find some time at some point
Old 02-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Hambone is offline Hambone

Tried downloading from the link and df2 still froze. No mouse movements, no keyboard, just my poor 'frozen in time' screen. Have go to Task Manager and end task.

I did not load this version on the server, so i will try that next. Thanks for your help, it would be awesome to eliminate these freezes.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:23 PM

did you push the hotkey ? or was the dll loaded ?
if i can scott on teamviewer we gonna look for a better solution
Old 02-13-2018, 07:02 AM

i was trying to make it happen like 3 hours but it did not (win7 64x without services packs) (DF1) DF2 then soon

i need like a trigger to make it happen

is there a sign when it happens like often ? like how many time i have to play ? or on what map it happens very much ? does it requie to turn and run or is turn enough ? are other players needed (multiplayer or single player) ? do it happen if you play windowed mode (this is like important if i have to know i have to switch back to a resolution) ?

in the past i remember it happend like 1 time a day while playing 8 hours or so DF1 i dont remember it much but on that day it happend once but i could not go back to the resolution settings so i could turn on a debugger
Old 02-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyTheTank View Post
i was trying to make it happen like 3 hours but it did not (win7 64x without services packs) (DF1) DF2 then soon

i need like a trigger to make it happen

is there a sign when it happens like often ?
Near almost any object, but more so near sandbags, walls and bunkers

like how many time i have to play ?
I've frozen within 3 seconds of joining

or on what map it happens very much ?
More items and proximity to objects cause it

does it requie to turn and run or is turn enough ?
Any movement

are other players needed (multiplayer or single player) ?
Both

do it happen if you play windowed mode (this is like important if i have to know i have to switch back to a resolution) ?
Yes it still happens in Windowed Mode

in the past i remember it happend like 1 time a day while playing 8 hours or so DF1 i dont remember it much but on that day it happend once but i could not go back to the resolution settings so i could turn on a debugger
It's more rare in DF1 but last weekend I froze 3 times which is unusual. In Df2, it's much more common.

I have a VM setup, I'm going to make sure I can freeze in it and then we'll do some more testing.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:34 AM

do amd users have this a lot less ? it could be related to new intel cpu

shrd command could be involved intel stays a bit different here since x64

shrd cnt, src, dest
shrd dest, src, cnt

i gave it other try 4:30 hours (amd) 2 maps loaded move left (screen) permanently on , map : CTFMACE
Old 02-14-2018, 05:49 AM

Also, Intel's manual[1] states that the results are undefined when cnt is greater than the operand size, but at least for 32- and 64-bit data sizes it has been observed that shift operations are performed by (cnt mod n), with n being the data size.

i noticed in that ctfmaze that there if i change relevant things a drawing problem apears but on some others maps it almost not doing that, this can happen when the calclations related to the src command are either to be done or not

if thats so its a challange :-) its hardware based but can be fixed in rewriting the entire function software based

sounds interesting at least :-)

but i still could make no freez
Old 02-14-2018, 08:01 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyTheTank View Post
do amd users have this a lot less ? it could be related to new intel cpu

shrd command could be involved intel stays a bit different here since x64

shrd cnt, src, dest
shrd dest, src, cnt

i gave it other try 4:30 hours (amd) 2 maps loaded move left (screen) permanently on , map : CTFMACE
I'm not sure it's an intel thing, I use AMD and I freeze all the time. About as much as anyone else.

It's common to freeze a lot on the CTF XMaze map