Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Off-Topic > General Chat

General Chat Talk about anything that does not fit into other topics here.

Old 03-21-2018, 02:00 PM
BlacKSmurF is offline BlacKSmurF

Smile Updates on THQ Nordic: Investing in Koch Media, Re-releasing Classic Nickelodeon Games

I'm always on the lookout for new Delta Force news and thought I'd share what the new owners of the IP (THQ Nordic) are up to.

So why does this matter to Delta Force fans? Check out this graph from the Rolling Stone article:

And from the Games Industry article:

Quote:
"Koch Media was really a strategic move for us, because what we didn't have at THQ Nordic was this partner publishing business," CEO and founder Lars Wingefors explains to GamesIndustry.biz.

"Koch Media has many things. Marketing, B2B marketing, PR, product planning, strategic launch planning... they are a key business partner for many people.
The crux of the articles is this: THQ Nordic has bought a ton of old IPs, including Novalogic's, and while the articles state nothing will immediately happen with THQ Nordic and Koch Media, it will obviously become a lot easier to create and distribute new games based on these amazing franchises.

Of course, this could mean they focus on a select few IPs that perform best and never do anything with the old ones they've acquired. I don't think that's likely, however, since Koch Media does a lot with indie devs - a high volume of releases instead of simply a few high-profile ones is closer to their MO.

As a business owner that studies the gaming industry recreationally, I don't see anyone else doing what THQ Nordic does - buying up beloved intellectual properties that were neglected by their creators and re-releasing them is really smart. Not only do you get an immediate return on investment by re-releasing the games, but when investing in a company that has a lot of developer power (Koch Media), it's possible we'll start seeing THQ Nordic's recently-acquired franchises make their way into new games.

Considering their savvy approach to the business, I imagine that once both companies have squeezed out whatever workload is in their current pipeline, they'll look at what's selling well and dig back into their extensive IPs they just purchased to determine what would best fit today's mold. Right now Battle Royale is hot, but what if mil sim came back into vogue? With the success of hardcore games like Rainbow Six Siege and PUBG, it's possible we'll see a new Delta Force game down the road.

And I'd also wager that if any modders created a 1:1 remake of any of these games with nothing but enhanced graphics and 4K support, THQ Nordic would happily fund further development. Maybe if the Terranova modding crew was up to the task...
Old 03-27-2018, 09:11 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

They are updating some of their old / new IP's like Titans Quest so maybe there is hope, I'm just not holding on for it

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 03-30-2018, 03:41 PM
BlacKSmurF is offline BlacKSmurF

Since my post, THQ Nordic announced they're re-releasing Red Faction Guerrilla, and the Red Faction series was discontinued for poor sales... we can hope!

I think DF was actually one of the bigger franchises they acquired from a sales perspective... According to Wikipedia's entry on DFLW, "Combined sales of all Delta Force computer games released between January 2000 and August 2006 had reached 1.7 million units in the United States by the latter date." (Source)
Old 04-02-2018, 11:16 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Yeah it was quite a popular series. If you talk to almost any online gamer from the 2000 era, they all know what DF is and most of them played it a ton.

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq

Tags
thqnordic