Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 08-09-2018, 12:32 AM
Seahawk is offline Seahawk

Fix my map.

Please fix my map events I'm not able to fix 'em.
The Blackhawk is not landing and the hostages are not teleporting.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5al3ge...scort.mis/file
Old 08-09-2018, 03:24 AM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Please fix my map events I'm not able to fix 'em.
The Blackhawk is not landing and the hostages are not teleporting.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5al3ge...scort.mis/file
If you haven't fixed it yet I think I can find the time to help if I can.

Before I crank up BHDTS and have a look do you have any other files that go with it like wac, bin, lwf etc...?
Old 08-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Went over your map but before I try saying I've fixed it I had to make changes you may not like so, first try it yourself...

Look at the waypoint numbers for Waypoint 6

You have
6,0 6,1 6,2 6,6 6,6
you need
6,0 6,1 6,2 6,3 6,4

Raise waypoint 6,0 and move it to a position above where you want it (helicopter) to land (so it can clear the trees), change the event to Reached waypoint 6,0 and adjust helicopter starting hight to above ground and reset the position of the 2 AI Soldiers you wish to mount
Old 08-10-2018, 01:15 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Wow, so many RPGs...

Lowered enemy accuracy and tweaked engagement ranges.

Increased saves to 9.

I expanded the area triggers to get the teleports working.

Tightened and renumbered waypoints. (Wow, so many waypoints!)

Moved some WPs from list 6 to a new list so the BH has two lists, one brings it in to land, the other leads it out when the hostages mount up.

Changed the BH AI Textfile to H_BHAWMP for the speed (40kmh) and stability (no reaction to being shot), then made it stop using WP Z to avoid mucking about with altitude.

Added a 3D area trigger with the bottom 1m above the LZ and the top 4m above the LZ.

Put the BH in group 4 and triggered its events as group 4 'cause trying to land SSN 790 when it reaches WP 6-1 was not reliable.

So when group 5 is dead, the BH comes in, lands when it reaches WP 6-1, the last WP in that list. It touches down, putting its MEd center point just inside the 3D area trigger. I added an event that sets it immediately to "follow waypoint" and unhides the player's WP Alpha that I inserted to its right side. I also added a 2D area trigger 8 around the player WP.

I added an event that redirects the hostages when each one is within area 8 and group 4 BH is in 3D area 7. They redirect to WP 125-790, which puts them on the BH.

When each of the hostages and the BH are within 3D area 7 (which is 1m above the ground, so they can't be in it until they're on the BH), the BH redirects to WP 8-0, the hostages redirect to WP 0-0, the BH lifts off and goes south. That's where I expanded 3D area 6 to about a 500m square, starting at absolute 24m up to absolute 60m.

When all enemy groups are destroyed and the hostages are up in 3D area 6, blue wins.

So your mission here is small and sloppy, I made it a little less sloppy, and there's an argument to made for .wac controlled "if SSN rides SSN" triggers, but that's a-whole-nother level of sloppy we need not deal with at the moment. This is a decent exercise in mission creation, though.

My opinions:

If it cannot shoot, do not put it on Team Red. Teammates will concentrate fire on the nearest enemy vehicle - which they cannot damage with their rifles, especially when they aim for the vehicles MEd center point on the ground just underneath it - and will ignore the RPG standing just next to it, who will destroy your abysmally stupid teammates. Put vehicles manned by enemies on Team green and in the vehicles' Item Attributes, change the Spinmap Color Override to Invisible.

So. Seven RPGs, ten .50 cal. emplacements, a few dozen AKs, and you're just gonna pull your convoy in and park right in the middle of their overlapping fields of fire?

Ohhhh-kaaaaay...

I made the convoy vehicles indestructible.

I had to lower all enemies' accuracy down to 10 and engagement ranges to 50m, and still needed a few restarts before I memorized the best actions to take: Hold fire 'til the road smoothed out, take out the RPGs right of the cargo truck, switch to the RPG on the pickup, then the .50 cal. gunners far left, far right, back and forth toward center. FINGERS CROSSED!

You put an RPG behind a camo-net bunker and one firing out the side of a flatbed truck. In vanilla BHD, these two effectively murder/suicide when they fire their rockets into their cover. In the mod I like to play, the arm_age I put on the RPGs saves their lives, but they're still useless where they're deployed. Some of the other RPGs are also badly placed. RPGs are tricky to work with.

But you didn't use guided RPGs. I like that!

I hate when mappers use GRPGs against the player. You're not making your mission tough with GRPGs. You're making your mission a stupid "Die, memorize, die again" grind. F*** that. There is no grind in DFBHD. It's the BMS2MIS for you, jerk, see if I don't.

If you set up any encounter in a mission that the player cannot possibly win with just skill and situational awareness the first time they try, you're not a mapper, you're a sadist.

The only waypoint list you need to assign to a team in the Waypoint dialog is the player's waypoints. The "Blue Team Waypoint" and "Red Team Waypoint" check boxes are vestigial attributes left over from earlier NeverLogic games that had different waypoints for each team in MP. I'm not aware that these do anything in DFBHD MP.

Assigning WPs to Team Blue or Team Red in their Item Attributes is not necessary, either. I find that just makes decluttering the view in the MEd less effective.

Anyway, I'm sick of writing now. I didn't hate your map, Seahawk. You have potential.

Advice: If you assign vehicles and/or people to a waypoint list in their Item Attributes, they will also be selected with the right-click "Select this Waypoint List" trick, and any changes you make will possibly screw up the numbering of your waypoints! Prevent this by deactivating the Vehicle and People checkboxes in the "Show:" sidebar before selecting a waypoint list.
Attached Files
File Type: zip HostEscB2.zip (18.6 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 08-10-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:45 AM

A very well sorted fix and explanation by Baldo, that's going to be a huge help for you this time around and no doubt into the future.

Could I add to that by saying, setting incoming helos and crews to neutral until the landing approach would reduce the risk of them being lost beforehand as you can control when it's target and in this case that would be only when loaded up with the rescued AI.

BTW
You could use invincible etc but a purist would generally debunk that method when spotted, raising health and etc. isn't a guarantee of a sure landing, so one point to learn from all of this is try not to base critical map events on a single incident.

Oh and I forgot to mention balance, RE Baldo's reference to guided RPGs.

Balance is exactly that, if you have to restart from the beginning the map needs a balance between difficulty and enjoyment.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:34 AM

But where's the download link?
Old 08-11-2018, 04:24 AM

I attached a .zip to that reply. It's at the bottom of the post, above my signature. Is that not displaying for you?
Old 08-12-2018, 02:37 AM

Quote:
The "Blue Team Waypoint" and "Red Team Waypoint" check boxes are vestigial attributes left over from earlier NeverLogic games that had different waypoints for each team in MP. I'm not aware that these do anything in DFBHD MP.
I think it can used for swapping waypoints and displaying the new waypoint on the HUD
Old 09-10-2018, 03:27 AM

Now why this mission is not getting completion?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/x3cd56..._Hawk.mis/file
Old 09-11-2018, 06:06 AM

All players in DFBHD are automatically assigned to Group 1. And you accidentally put the patrolling deltas in the same group as the ZU-23 and the LB.

To spawn the player mounted on an emplaced weapon, change the player start marker to team red.

Tip: in DFBHD, emplaced .50s WILL NOT shoot where you aim them if they are not on perfectly level ground, including vehicles with mounted .50s.

Also, spawning a player RIGHT NEXT to an emplaced .50 cal. AND an RPG, both with 100 accuracy? Do you even play this game for fun?

Check your item heights in 3D wireframe, ESPECIALLY on uneven terrain in tunnels.

Tunnel items align perfectly on X and Y when snapped to a 1m grid.

Check your waypoint lists. Ensure they are numbered correctly.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:12 AM

But why the 'mission complete' message doesn't come? There is only 1 more mission in this campaign.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:26 AM

*sigh*

I'm under the impression that english is not your native language, so I'll explain more explicitly:

You set the WIN BLUE conditions to if Group 1 and Group 2 are destroyed. You assigned all the other enemies to Group 2, but you put the ZU-23, the civilian Little Bird, and the 5 Team Sabre teammates in Group 1, which is also the group the player is automatically assigned to. To destroy Group 1, the enemy AAA, the enemy LB, the friendly TS Deltas, and the player have to die.

You basically accidentally set up a kind of Kobayashi Maru situation here.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
But why the 'mission complete' message doesn't come? There is only 1 more mission in this campaign.
To simplify the mission ending set the "win event" to an "area trigger" placed somewhere at the end of the map and change the win condition to "Reached Final Waypoint".