Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Call of Duty

Call of Duty Anything about the Call of Duty / Modern Warfare series of games.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:29 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Send a message via Yahoo to dave61
COD2:MW voted among the top ten most violent video Games.

It seems COD2:MW has been rated as among the top ten as the most violent video games because of one of it's missions.

The COD2:MW mission "NO RUSSIAN" has resulted in unfavoritable reviews because of the slaughter of innocent civilians inside an airport terminal. The mission begins as you working undercover with a terror group to attack a terminal in Russia. As you walk through the terminal you engage in killing Men and Wemen as they try to escape the carnage. Leaving a bloody trail of the dead and dying civilians. In the end, you are betrayed (enough said).

Infinity Ward does give you the option of by-passing the "NO RUSSIAN" mission ( without impacting the game ). But, as anyone the curiousity of playing it overwhems whatever the recomendations.

Your thoughts ? Does this make you repulsed?

My opinion is that, I thought this was strange that this mission was included, but I see how it played into the games story. It hasn't changed my belief in the reality of innocent lives, but then again I think about how game developers push the edge of violence just to make a buck.
I realize that War-based video games use violence and death as a selling advantage. But , as a local ARMY recuiter told me, the call of duty series has been the best recuitment software ever. All the kids say they want to be scouts just like Rameriz.

Too bad video games aren't like real life.

They're aren't any respawns in real life ....
Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 PM
skinny killer is offline skinny killer
HappyGoLucky

Send a message via Yahoo to skinny killer
I honestly didn't have a problem with that mission, it's no different then a movie I would think. You see innocent people killed all the time on the big screen but you don't really think much of it.

In that map you're simply seeing it all through the eye's of the enemy. It was pretty much a 'putting sh!t in perspective' moment and it really let you know what seperated the boys from the girls, and the good from the bad.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Soldiers are people too...what's the difference?...we approve our military actions by default when we vote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:43 AM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
Butt hurt people putting too much thought into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave61 View Post
as a local ARMY recuiter told me, the call of duty series has been the best recuitment software ever. All the kids say they want to be scouts just like Rameriz.
HAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAA!!!

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 07-29-2011, 05:38 AM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Mstenger404

It's true, the Recuiter said that after he explained the reality of the job to the kids they changed their minds.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 AM
skinny killer is offline skinny killer
HappyGoLucky

Send a message via Yahoo to skinny killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
Soldiers are people too...what's the difference?...we approve our military actions by default when we vote
The idea is that the soldiers are giving you a reason to shoot them in the first place, but to shoot the un armed civi's is immoral.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:45 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny killer View Post
The idea is that the soldiers are giving you a reason to shoot them in the first place, but to shoot the un armed civi's is immoral.
I feel kinda bad about that perticular mission cause my girls (btw, before anyone asks my youngest is 16 and my middle girl is 18) bought COD2:MW game for Xbox. When I told them about the rating for the game and that perticular Mission they said that was the best part. They said they made sure that any of the civilians that were still able to crawl away got shot. This didn't make me feel real good at all.

Stomp, have you played COD2:MW?
Here's the Mission.
( WARNING: SPOILER & GRAPHIC VIOLENCE ) :

Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Mstenger404 is offline Mstenger404

Send a message via MSN to Mstenger404
Just for kicks and giggles I would put MW2 back into my xbox (I don't play often at all) and replay that mission a couple times (just up until the point the police comes out) and then go back to something else.

I can't judge myself without sounding like a selfish prick but I'm doing a lot of full time work and doing schooling at the same time. I try to do everything I do in a professional and respectful manner. No talking trash about managers or complaining about the work like a lot of other coworkers here.

Intel Q9300 Quad~2.5Ghz
PALIT GTX570
ASUS GTX280 Dedicated PhysX
WD Velociraptor 300GB 10k RPM
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM
4GB Patriot DDR3 1333mhz
Intel BOXDX48BT2 X48
Corsair 1000Watt Modular PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
ASUS VG238H 23" 120Hz 3D-Ready
Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mstenger404 View Post
Just for kicks and giggles I would put MW2 back into my xbox (I don't play often at all) and replay that mission a couple times (just up until the point the police comes out) and then go back to something else.

I can't judge myself without sounding like a selfish prick but I'm doing a lot of full time work and doing schooling at the same time. I try to do everything I do in a professional and respectful manner. No talking trash about managers or complaining about the work like a lot of other coworkers here.
Co-workers are like that everywhere. I've found it's a part of life I have to deal with also.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Stomp, have you played COD2:MW?
Here's the Mission.
No Dave, I haven't and the game is brutal alright, but as said...I think it's a matter of degree "violence and victims". Ever seen a movie where "they" let someone go, then later that someone is responsible for killing "them"?
We don't agree from our perspective...but it's all a matter of belief in what you are trying to achieve in the long run.
According to some all violence is unjustifiable...but...if you kill mine...I will kill yours!!!!
Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Luis is offline Luis
N' gatz we truz

I think this game is for ADULTS,
people who know what is a game and what is reality.

Luis

My videos :: My site :: My DFBHD maps :: My DFBHDTS maps

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
No Dave, I haven't and the game is brutal alright, but as said...I think it's a matter of degree "violence and victims". Ever seen a movie where "they" let someone go, then later that someone is responsible for killing "them"?
We don't agree from our perspective...but it's all a matter of belief in what you are trying to achieve in the long run.
According to some all violence is unjustifiable...but...if you kill mine...I will kill yours!!!!
Agreed ... But the perspective here is to sell a violent video game ...

And who to ? Kids? And at what price?

Stomp, movies aren't real life. Video games aren't real life.

Please explain, is (virtual) killing innocent justified to sell a video game?

Would you do this in real life ?

Would you kill innocent people just as an act of revenge?

Has our Contious been seared so much by World News, movies, Video games (etc..) that we have become immune to killing innocent ?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:46 PM

Not for kids...Dave. Definitely NOT
let me get back on the other questions...they need a little deeper thought to answer properly
Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

In real life and in war, innocent die. I know that. Hiroshima & Nagasaki are great examples.

Millions of innocent die as a result of war and hatered. Look at Norway. Look at Somalia. Look at many places across the world. Even right here in the US.

Those things we can't control. We can't stop all the nutjobs who want us dead.

But, in this forum I just want to look at violent Video games. The software publishers can control what they distribute. They make a dissision to publish game software that is violent in nature that may reach into the hands of children.
Thank GOD that the US is moving to restrict the sell of violent video games to children.
But, I'm not talking about censorship either! Adults can make thier own minds up. Like the use of Cigarettes, Alcohol, Video games (etc...)

But, What is the limit that video game publishers would reach just to sell a video game?
Virual sex abuse ? Virtual hate crimes?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 PM

To get some background on the official us stance on civilian casualties

Quote:
"When people decry civilian deaths caused by the U.S. government, they're aiding propaganda efforts. In sharp contrast, when civilian deaths are caused by bombers who hate America, the perpetrators are evil and those deaths are tragedies.

When they put bombs in cars and kill people, they're uncivilized killers. When we put bombs on missiles and kill people, we're upholding civilized values. When they kill, they're terrorists. When we kill, we're striking against terror."
Old 07-29-2011, 09:21 PM
dave61 is offline dave61
I.C.U.

Quote:
To get some background on the official us stance on civilian casualties
Not looking at real life here Stomp. We can't control real life.

Just looking at violent videos games.

Quote:
In real life and in war, innocent die. I know that. Hiroshima & Nagasaki are great examples.

Millions of innocent die as a result of war and hatered. Look at Norway. Look at Somalia. Look at many places across the world. Even right here in the US.

Those things we can't control. We can't stop all the nutjobs who want us dead.

But, in this forum I just want to look at violent Video games. The software publishers can control what they distribute. They make a dissision to publish game software that is violent in nature that may reach into the hands of children.
Thank GOD that the US is moving to restrict the sell of violent video games to children.
But, I'm not talking about censorship either! Adults can make thier own minds up. Like the use of Cigarettes, Alcohol, Video games (etc...)

But, What is the limit that video game publishers would reach just to sell a video game?
Virual sex abuse ? Virtual hate crimes?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 PM

Would kids ever believe that the censorship or classifications of those types of games to be valid in the light of the media portraying all these events, almost in real time from the point of view of the
Quote:
official us stance on civilian casualties
?

Last edited by Guest001; 07-29-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:45 PM

Video games are already a tool...area51, america's army3
Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Some films (those made for educational or training purposes, for instance) are exempt from classification under certain conditions.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:53 PM

Name Reason
7 Sins Banned because of high impact of sexual references.
50 Cent: Bulletproof Banned because of high impact violence and cruelty.[4] A censored version was later released.[5]
Blitz: The League Banned due to the use of drugs was related to incentives and rewards.
BMX XXX Banned because of high impact sexual references. Censored version later released
CrimeCraft Banned due to the use of drugs as incentives or rewards.
Dark Sector Banned because of high impact violence. A censored version was later released.
Dreamweb Banned because of a scene of sexual violence. However, the game was censored, and re-released with an M rating in 1996[6]
The Getaway Originally released uncut with a MA15+, it was later resubmitted and banned due to a scene of detailed torture. A censored version omitting this scene was later released with a MA15+. The sequel was released uncut.
Left 4 Dead 2 Refused classification due to relentless gory violence. An edited version has been released using the German cut.[7] This version of game is now less violent than its predecessor which was released with a MA15+.
Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude Banned because of sexuality and nudity in relation to incentives and rewards.
Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure Originally released with a MA15+, Federal Attorney-General Philip Ruddock used his power to later appeal the decision to get it banned for glorification of graffiti.
Manhunt Originally rated MA15+ but Federal Attorney-General Philip Ruddock later appealed the rating thus being banned afterwards because of high-impact violence and cruelty. The publisher chose not to release Manhunt 2 in case of it falling the same fate as its predecessor.
Mortal Kombat Banned due to the graphic realistic depictions of mutilations and gore performed by the fatalities. Ban upheld by Australian Classification Review Board on Monday, March 14, 2011.[2]
NARC (2005 game) Banned because of drug use related to incentives.
NecroVisioN Banned because of relentless gory violence. A censored version was later released with a lucrative M rating.
Postal Banned because of high impact violence (the objective thoughout the entire game is, as the title suggests, to go postal)
Postal 2 Originally released unrated to some retail stores in Australia, when it was picked up for publishing in Australia it was banned because of gross, abhorrent content (urination, high impact violence, animal cruelty, homophobia, etc.) link
Phantasmagoria Banned because of high impact violence, cruelty, and a scene of sexual violence involving rape. A censored version was later released.
Reservoir Dogs Banned because of high impact violence and cruelty.
Risen Banned because of sexual activity and drug use related to incentives.
Shellshock 2: Blood Trails Banned because of high impact violence.
Silent Hill: Homecoming Banned because of very disturbing content specifically the scene involving drilling into body parts. Konami has since modified this part of the game to meet MA15+ guidelines.
Singles: Flirt Up Your Life Banned because of sexuality and nudity in relation to incentives and rewards.
Soldier of Fortune: Payback Banned because of high impact violence involving dismemberment. Activision has since modified the game to meet MA15+ guidelines.
Voyeur Originally rated MA15+ but later appealed and banned because of a scene of explicit sexual dialogue involving incest.

The list below are of games that have been eventually released unedited, rating appealed or the worldwide edition later being released uncut and being identical to other countries.

Name Reason
Aliens vs. Predator Banned because of violence involving graphic depictions of mutilation. Rating later appealed and overturned and now is rated MA15+.
Fallout 3 Originally banned because of drug use in relation to real world drugs. Edited world wide due to the insignificant change that was done (the name of morphine being changed to Med-x). Therefore the same game that was rated 17+/18+ in other countries was rated MA15+ in Australia.
F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin Originally banned because of high impact violence, Warner bros. interactive later appealed the decision and received an MA15+.
Grand Theft Auto III Originally banned because of the use of prostitutes. A censored version was later released. PC version was released uncut with MA15+.
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Had its classification revoked following the Hot Coffee controversy. Edited worldwide with this version of the game also achieving a MA15+
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Pre-Censored before submission because of the use of prostitutes. In 2010 the game was released uncut again receiving a MA15+.[8]
Grand Theft Auto IV Pre-censored before submission because of sex scenes involving prostitutes. An uncut version was later released for the PC with a MA15+. A patch was later released to completely uncensor the PS3 version and the 360 version. All expansions are unedited with a MA15+.
Sexy Poker Originally banned from being released on WiiWare due to nudity being used as an incentive. Edited worldwide to replace nudity with revealing under garments and this edition received a lucrative M rating.
Shellshock: Nam '67 Originally banned because of high impact violence; however, it was re-rated MA15+ uncut when the game was resubmitted and objectionable content was shown within proper context.
Tender Loving Care Originally banned because of sexual references and nudity ; however, due to being more of an interactive live-action movie than a videogame, it was later submitted as an interactive DVD and was rerated MA15+.
The Punisher Originally banned because of high impact violence involving torture. Edited worldwide due to troubles with other countries as well (such as being rated with an AO rating in America and threatened as being objectionable by the UK's BBFC) and this edition was passed through with an MA15+. Australia got the same version as America and Europe.
[edit] Brazil

In December 1999, citing a man who killed three and injured eight, Brazil banned six games. Vendors were required to surrender the games to police or face a fine equal to about $11,000 USD a day.[9]
Name Reason
Cat In The Hat: The Game Banned because of copyright from the said movie.
Blood Banned because of high impact violence.
Bully (including Scholarship Edition) Banned for showing violence and harassment in a school setting.
Carmageddon Banned because of high impact violence against pedestrians.
Carmageddon II: Carpocalypse Now Banned because of high impact violence against pedestrians.
Counter-Strike Banned because of high impact violence. In June 2009, the game was allowed to be sold again (however, retail sales still banned)[10]
Doom Banned because of high impact violence.
Duke Nukem 3D Banned because of high impact violence.
EverQuest Banned because of X18+ references.[11]
Grand Theft Auto Banned because of high impact violence. This is only to the original GTA, and is no longer banned.
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes From Liberty City Banned in the city of Barueri because it uses a music by a Brazilian composer without permission. Also applies to DLC that use that music (the stock IV game does not feature the track).[12]
Mortal Kombat Banned because of high impact violence.
Requiem: Avenging Angel Banned because of high impact violence.
Postal Banned because of high impact violence.
[edit] People's Republic of China
Main article: Video gaming in the People's Republic of China
See also: Censorship in the People's Republic of China

The government of the People's Republic of China often places a higher value on censoring content pertaining to political issues (such as the ostensible indivisibility of China) rather than moral concerns.
Name Reason
Command & Conquer Generals Banned for "smearing the image of China and the Chinese army" despite the fact that the game presents China as a quasi-protagonist.[13] Additionally, the Chinese campaign has the player destroy questionable targets such as the Three Gorges Dam and the Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre.
Football Manager 2005 Banned for recognizing Tibet as an independent country. An edited version globally was later released.
Hearts of Iron Banned for portraying Tibet, Sinkiang, and Manchuria as independent countries and Taiwan as under Japanese control.[13]
I.G.I.-2: Covert Strike Banned because of "intentionally blackening China and the Chinese army's image."[14]
[edit] Cuba
See also: Censorship in Cuba

No video games have ever been banned in Cuba, but few games were sold in that country until 2007 when restrictions were eased. In 2010, the video game Call of Duty: Black Ops gained much controversy as there is a mission where the player attempts to assassinate Fidel Castro, only to end up killing a double. However, the game is yet to be banned.[15]

[edit] Denmark
Name Reason
Dead or Alive: Dimensions While this game is not banned, it is not being distributed by Bergsala due to concerns that the game's "Figure Mode" could be used by players for creating sexual situations, and that three of the game's characters are under 17, Denmark's minimum age to be able to appear in pornography. The game has also been banned in Norway and Sweden for the same reasons. "Nintendo 3DS title banned amid child porn accusations.".
EA Sports MMA This game was not released in Denmark because of a law prohibiting marketing for energy drinks, which is a central part of the game.
[edit] Germany

A game can be considered banned in Germany if it has been confiscated by court order because it violates a section of the Strafgesetzbuch (criminal code). Private possession (and thus playing it) and acquisition (such as downloading a demo from the Internet) is still legal, but any dissemination is not. The seller would break the law if a sale took place, not the buyer. On December 10, 2002, however, one German court (Oberlandesgericht Hamm) decided that a single sale of a single copy does not qualify as dissemination.[16] Unlike indexing by the BPjM, which restricts the sale of all content-equal versions, the versions that are confiscated are enumerated in the court order. Being put on the index by the BPjM or, since April 1, 2003, being refused a rating by the USK does not equal a ban. Rather, it imposes strict trade restrictions on the title. While only very few games have been confiscated, the list of indexed games is very long.[17]

In December 2006, Bavaria and Lower Saxony proposed legislation, to be presented to the national parliament, that would make even playing games that feature "cruel violence on humans or human-looking characters" an offense punishable with fines or jail time of up to 12 months.[18][19][20]

Last edited by Guest001; 07-29-2011 at 10:14 PM.