Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Gaming Talk

Gaming Talk Post all your game related stuff here. This includes PC, Console, Handhelds etc.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:15 PM
Oscarmike247 is offline Oscarmike247

Squad v11

Been playing Squad lately. I gotta say, I'm impressed with the game. I've had ton of fun with it.

It has all of the great milsim aspects of ArmA, but without the extremely slow and buggy/clumsy controls.

If your system can take it, the graphics look great (mine are low because of my potato PC). The sounds are immersive and realistic. The gun shots are so loud compared to other sounds in the game.

Even if you have never been interested in milsims, you should try Squad...

Old 06-04-2018, 08:04 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

See quite a few people playing it, looks like it could be fun

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 06-04-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
See quite a few people playing it, looks like it could be fun
It is extremely team oriented and you have to be able to communicate. Most servers require that at least the squad leaders have a microphone. As a squad member its usually frowned on if you dont have a mic.

I like how smooth the game mechanics are and how focused it is on teamwork. But at the same time its relaxed enough that you can just hop into any server, hook up with a squad, and ask what the plan is and how you can help.

The only bad part about the game so far is that sometimes the community can be toxic. Occasionally youll get a rude squad leader who is taking the game way too seriously and gets pissed off yelling at people if they dont do exactly what they want them to do.

But most of the time you meet some cool people that youll probably never see again once you leave the server. In any case, if you dont like your squad leader you can simply join another squad.

As far as gameplay, its slow for the most part, but intense! It is very punishing if you die because every respawn costs your team a ticket in AAS for example, and the respawn time is 30 to 40 seconds.

One interesting thing is that you cannot see how many tickets the enemy has left, so you have no idea if you are winning or not. It just drives you to keep pushing harder no matter how well you think you're doing.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:25 PM
Steve is offline Steve
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Steve
ah man looks great, i was an early backer for this game but haven't got around to installing it yet. need to get some guys together for a game and give it some time it deserves
Old 06-04-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
ah man looks great, i was an early backer for this game but haven't got around to installing it yet. need to get some guys together for a game and give it some time it deserves

Honestly you dont even need to get a group together. Just hop into a server and start playing. Thats one of the things i love about it.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:30 PM

Another down to this game is that running lower graphics settings seems to be more of a disadvantage in squad than in other FPS. Most engagements in Squad happen at longer ranges and you're often shooting at a very small target. It is hard enough to see players in the game because the player camos works well and blends naturally with the surroundings. If the enemy can play on higher graphic settings, then they can see you fairly clearly, meanwhile you are shooting at a 2 pixel target.

My advice is to max out your resolution and turn down/off other graphics options. The game will look terrible but at least it will be clear while maintaining decent fps so you can see your targets. Also disable anti aliasing so you see sharp pixels rather than blurr.

Most of the time in squad you find yourself shooting at unseen targets and using suppressive fire. But the thing about Squad is that suppression works. The game is punishing and people dont want to die because it is costly to their team and to themselves. Laying down suppressive fire WILL keep enemy heads down.

The more i play the more addicting it gets... its great.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:37 PM

June 21st through june 24th Squad will be free to play on steam. During that time it will also be 40% off.

Thought id mention it for anyone wanting to try before they buy...
Old 06-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Scott is offline Scott
AKA. Panther

Maybe I'll check it out if I can play for free for a few days Really tired of buying games and never playing them because they aren't very good... I wish demos were still a thing!

04' Dodge SRT-4, Mopar Stage 3, 406whp/436wtq
Old 06-11-2018, 08:23 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarmike247 View Post

toxic

rude

yelling
Is this correct?

Sounds bad.

Last edited by Guest001; 06-11-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:38 PM

I couldn't see any free weekend on steam for Squad but Black Squad is free and has Battle-Eye
Steam Store - Black Squad

Old 06-12-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
Is this correct?

Sounds bad.

It is true sometimes but its only happened to me a few times. And it wasnt that big of a deal. Like i said, if you dont like your squad lead, you can leave and join another squad on the server as many times as you want.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I couldn't see any free weekend on steam for Squad but Black Squad is free and has Battle-Eye

http://joinsquad.com/readArticle?articleId=293

Heres the announcement from their main site. Not sure if they will advertise it on steam yet.

And yeah ive seen videos on black squad. It looks like another run of the mill COD/CSGO style arcade run-n-gun shooter. Yawn.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:

Heres the announcement from their main site. Not sure if they will advertise it on steam yet.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:

And yeah ive seen videos on black squad. It looks like another run of the mill COD/CSGO style arcade run-n-gun shooter. Yawn.
Are you saying that you haven't played it, yet you're yawning?

LOL

I see your point but "Black Squad" is OK for free and with Battle-Eye, there's none of the problems with the community that ruin so many games - also in my opinion when it comes to multiplayer games, it's the players in the game that make it fun or not.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that you haven't played it, yet you're yawning?

LOL

I see your point but "Black Squad" is OK for free and with Battle-Eye, there's none of the problems with the community that ruin so many games - also in my opinion when it comes to multiplayer games, it's the players in the game that make it fun or not.

I agree. Just dont get me wrong, i didnt mean to tarnish squads community. As i said, for the most part you meat some cool people. Generally youll have a good time talking to folks while you play. Just every ONCE IN AWHILE youll get a bad apple.

At least in Squad i havent ran into any aim-boting 13 yo squeekers who seem to have some sick unruly obsession with banging my mom.

Luckily the mature environment and brutal gameplay seems to have weeded them out.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I agree. Just dont get me wrong, i didnt mean to tarnish squads community. As i said, for the most part you meat some cool people. Generally youll have a good time talking to folks while you play. Just every ONCE IN AWHILE youll get a bad apple.

At least in Squad i havent ran into any aim-boting 13 yo squeekers who seem to have some sick unruly obsession with banging my mom.

Luckily the mature environment and brutal gameplay seems to have weeded them out.
What I think is the maps are deliberately small to keep the play tight, so the playing style in Black Squad appears a little rushed and it's not ideal planning teamwork at such short notice, to get the teamwork going with strangers you need time to evolve a plan in a drawn out engagement.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
What I think is the maps are deliberately small to keep the play tight, so the playing style in Black Squad appears a little rushed and it's not ideal planning teamwork at such short notice, to get the teamwork going with strangers you need time to evolve a plan in a drawn out engagement.
Most matches in squad last 1 to 1.5 hours. So its definitely not what youre looking for if you want instant action.

Arcade shooters seem to have desensitized us to the intensity of war. Ive never been in a gun fight, so i cant say i know what it is like beyond imagination. However, theres something about the realism of combat in squad that reminds you how frightening gun battles are. Even with slower paced gameplay, youll be surprised at the adrenaline rush you get.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Most matches in squad last 1 to 1.5 hours. So its definitely not what youre looking for if you want instant action.

Arcade shooters seem to have desensitized us to the intensity of war. Ive never been in a gun fight, so i cant say i know what it is like beyond imagination. However, theres something about the realism of combat in squad that reminds you how frightening gun battles are. Even with slower paced gameplay, youll be surprised at the adrenaline rush you get.
I agree 100% with what you're saying but let me take you where I am, if only I could take you there.

For instance I get very nervous in underwater game scenarios because of the past and it's the same with extended warfare games.

Need I say anymore?

So sometimes arcade is a bit of a hoot and not so stressful for me, don't get me wrong I still like to play for "real" but after a while it just get's too much...
Old 06-17-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I agree 100% with what you're saying but let me take you where I am, if only I could take you there.

For instance I get very nervous in underwater game scenarios because of the past and it's the same with extended warfare games.

Need I say anymore?

So sometimes arcade is a bit of a hoot and not so stressful for me, don't get me wrong I still like to play for "real" but after a while it just get's too much...

Aahh, gotcha.

If you haven't already, you should try battlefield 4. Bf4 today remains one of my favorite go to fps games. Its a great balance between milsim and arcade shooter. you have more realism in the gun battles and large scale warfare, but its still fast paced with a more arcade feel than a milsim game.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Aahh, gotcha.

If you haven't already, you should try battlefield 4. Bf4 today remains one of my favorite go to fps games. Its a great balance between milsim and arcade shooter. you have more realism in the gun battles and large scale warfare, but its still fast paced with a more arcade feel than a milsim game.
I have BF, 1942, BF2, BF3, Mods etc. etc. but not BF4.

As a game goes forward you expect it to get better and better but that didn't happen with BF, it's never had what I really wanted regarding size and strategy but some were very good in their own right.

BF3 left me hanging for months with a sore wallet and when it finally got going it web based login (from DVD) and small maps, great designs but far too small for flight and most mechanised manoeuvres.

To top it off the player community was extremely self indulgent with pedantic and whimsical server masters etc...

Coms were there but most were small groups or lone wolves who ignored you so teamwork was rare and getting through maps arduous because of it.

That's why I developed the strategy of just getting in and finding some artillery or a tank type vehicle and start blasting them out of the sky, I was so good at it that both sides, just hated me.

I'm a happy camper too and I don't mind waiting it out for a good surprise attack or ambush, yum yum.