Go Back   Novahq.net Forum > Games > Delta Force

Delta Force Anything to do with the Delta Force series of games, DF1, DF2, LW, TFD, BHD, DFX, AF etc.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:27 AM
Oscarmike247 is offline Oscarmike247

Mapping: in game music(DFX/JO)

Any way to get custom music to play in a DFX map other than playing a wave file with a WAC script?
Old 05-04-2018, 03:39 PM
Guest001 is offline Guest001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarmike247 View Post
Any way to get custom music to play in a DFX map other than playing a wave file with a WAC script?
Probably only packing to the pff but they may also need several files configured and packed with them.

The wac can handle sounds from external sources, play sounds from ssns and at locations. I haven't tested how well it works when playing custom packed sound files.

Packing to PFF with the appropriate files probably gives a more stable result but that is complex and IMO the wac is more versatile because DFX & JO can read the wac from the game folder without any fuss.

It's six of one and half a dozen of the other...
Old 05-04-2018, 03:42 PM

Woops
Old 05-07-2018, 12:08 PM

Yeah i agree. The only problem with using the WAC to play a music file is that you cant play other wav files or it will interrupt the music. Or if the player presses esc it will cut it off.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarmike247 View Post
Yeah i agree. The only problem with using the WAC to play a music file is that you cant play other wav files or it will interrupt the music. Or if the player presses esc it will cut it off.
It look's like there might be several separate sound streams at work in the engine, from what I can gather from these.

SS_SoundSet
SSNwave
SSNradio
sound2tgt

wave(Plays any wave file in game directory or pff - overrides pff)
waveready() True if no talking going on

Without delving into territory I've had little experience in, I've worked around it by mostly using chain(#), waveready() and wave("") commands.

To prevent interference with game sounds, you need to time your wave files for it all to work OK but you can mix both custom and inbuilt audio together.

Maybe you could try a variable controlled loop for the background sound, a ploop for sounds at the player like custom messages etc. and normal waveready() commands for pff game effects and speech.

Last edited by Guest001; 05-07-2018 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 05-07-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompem View Post
It look's like there might be several separate sound streams at work in the engine, from what I can gather from these.

SS_SoundSet
SSNwave
SSNradio
sound2tgt

wave(Plays any wave file in game directory or pff - overrides pff)
waveready() True if no talking going on

Without delving into territory I've had little experience in, I've worked around it by mostly using chain(#), waveready() and wave("") commands.

To prevent interference with game sounds, you need to time your wave files for it all to work OK but you can mix both custom and inbuilt audio together.

Maybe you could try a variable controlled loop for the background sound, a ploop for sounds at the player like custom messages etc. and normal waveready() commands for pff game effects and speech.
I'd thought about playing the music wav file on a loop with a waveready(). so it would continue to loop onces it is finished. the only think is that other wav's played during the map like talking will interrupt the music. once the talking wav is finished, the music will start back over from the beginning.

If you had some way to make your own LWF file to include with the map that contained your music as a sound set, you could play SS2SSN(SS_Music, 10000) and your music would play flawlessly with no interruptions. but I don't think the game will read new LWF files from the directory. I've tried to before with no luck.