Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2023, 03:54 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

I already have a few good versions of the PSO-1, but I like wasting my time on these little experiments.

I made this mostly by tracing the screenshot from the video, but I did have to do some math and fudging on the horizon after asserting that, even though 5x mag. in the WiQ mod was a near perfect fit on the rangefinder, the millirad divisions were badly off.

The main chevron could stand some tweaking, but this is a decent third draft.

Quick edit: Dimmed the mrad marks by 50% and the main chevron's a bit less obscured.

Edit: 'Cause I might as well do the PSO-1-1, too, right?

Mostly traced from the screenshot, 5x mag., I like the version I created from scratch better, so this would've been a considerably extra waste of time, were it not for the experiments I tried for drawing the curve that worked out so well. My usual approach would be to meticulously mathematically place straight lines from point to point, implying a curve, but this time, I trial-and-errored a specific pixel from which I could pull a single ellipse that mostly met all the points necessary. I could never get a single ellipse to work on the PSO-1, I always had to fudge two ellipses together, but this made me think I should maybe keep trying.

But not today.

Quickish note: Why is the rangefinder that wide, particularly? I would set the vertical lines 10 mrads apart horizontally, but that's not happening here, and I wondered, are maybe the lines dude-wide (0.4826m, 19") at 50m and 100m? I checked. They almost are, so they probably should be, and I think I might have to edit that later.

Sometimes, things only look stupid 'cause you're missing information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO1eft_Src_lo.jpg (228.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO1eft.jpg (244.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO1eft2.jpg (471.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO11eft_Src_lo.jpg (348.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_PSO11eft.jpg (341.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 02-26-2023 at 11:39 AM.