Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2022, 10:23 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

On the Forgotten Weapons YouTube channel video about the EM-2, about here: https://youtu.be/fcYj2SpUHvE?t=937

At first, I winged it and got a decent enough reticle, but I felt I needed to take a closer look at the width of the gaps in the 400 and 600 yard lines, and yeah, confirmed I needed to widen them, but also saw that they don't extend all the way to the edges. Used a screenshot of the reticle in the video to count pixels and educate my guesses, and I got what you see attached.

Earlier in the video, Ian McCollum gave values for the ammo, 140gr at 2530 ft/sec, where I got the velocity of 771. .280 British hits pretty hard in this game. I made the recoil 5 7 10, stability 0 .2 .8, and error 0.264 0.459 0.800 0.050 0.087 0.152.

The top-down aimpoint is weird, but I could get used to it. I zeroed the empty pixel just below the point at 183m, the top line is zeroed at 366m, and the bottom line is zeroed at 549m, or 200, 400, and 600 yards. Best my playtesting confirms, put the 600yd line on the target's feet, and if his head touches the 200yd aimpoint, use that. If his head doesn't reach the 200yd aimpoint, go with the 400yd aimpoint. But if his head doesn't reach the 400yd aimpoint, you'll need the 600yd aimpoint. I was getting goodish hits like that, at least.

Edit: Slight addition of the tiniest red dot. 'Cause that how I do.

No real method besides "The red dot fits here," but it does zero fairly well at 25yds. I tried an upside down chevron of various colors and intensities, but it was not working. Too pixelated. I tried making the entire reticle illuminated, but it kept being either too bright (and glarey in the NVGs) or too translucent, easy to lose in foliage. The tiny red dot is kind of elegant and gives you something against the dark. I like it. For now.

Also confirmed that the gaps in the range lines are as close to exactly 15 MOA as the resolution could possibly allow, and from gap to end, the lines are 45 MOA wide. Cannot confirm that this was the designer's intent, but it's telling how it just happened like that here, isn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiQ_EM2.jpg (332.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg EM2_Reticle.jpg (39.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_EM2i.jpg (303.3 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 10-23-2022 at 06:30 PM.