Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2024, 09:34 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Eventually, I was going to get to the Scrome J8F1 reticle. Today was that event.

I mounted this on the M40A1 at 10x mag., so you might want to call it a J10F1, but I don't know. I mathed up the dimensions using a bit of experience after counting pixels on this image from WikiPedia and a screenshot from this video:

The ammo.def entry needed heavy editing to drag the drops close to correct, then I tweaked the drops a bit to perfect them. The chevrons are supposed to angle a bit to the right due to spin drift, but that's not a thing in NL games (is it? I've never really noticed it, and I've discovered what I think is supposed to be the Coriolis effect in DFBHDTS, where on a windless test range map, with enough drag and distance, shooting north or south, the rounds always drifted a bit west).

The only thing I can think to add to this post is that I'd like to figure out some decent illumination for this, but not tonight.

//////////////////////- Horizontal Line -\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Edit: Something's off. Either something about the FR-F2 rifle causes 7.62mm NATO to have about twice as much drag, or the scaling and ranging on this reticle are not what we're used to.

Experimenting, I just traced the screenshot from the video, edited the weapon.def for adjustable zoom up to 35x, reverted the ammo.def drag from the 0.197 necessary for this version of the reticle at 10x magnification to the 0.41 drag that's about what all the other 7.62mm rifles have in this mod, then tested different zoom levels 'til one more or less matched the drops.

20x mag. is the closest. But that means the hashes on the vertical are not shoulder width, they're head width. The funnel would be shoulder width. The stadia on the rangefinder would not be average human height 1.7m at range, they'd be crotch to shoulders, about 76cm. This would also explain the stadia widths. Instead of being an apparently arbitrary, less-than-useful 1m at range, they end up not only being shoulder width, but shoulder height from the crotch baseline as well. And the horizontal subtensions are no longer 2 mrads in groups of 10 mrads, but 1 mrad in groups of 5.

I must either draw the reticle smaller, or increase the magnification.

Edit again: Okay, I have this for you now:

A scrome J8F1 reticle optimized for 8x mag., ammo velocity 852, drag 0.395. The top section of the image shows the 100m hash being head width at 100m. The middle section shows the range finder base line on the 200m target's crotch, while the stadia above the baseline is shoulder width and shoulder height. The bottom section shows the 300m target in the center, and behind it are two fence posts I placed 354m from my firing position for no real reason, but they are each as close to 25 milliradians left and right of the 300m target as I could get them, and I assure you, I got them very close. If asked, I'd say the reticle's a little off.

I did redo the 10x reticle and optimized it for 20x, but it doesn't look different enough from the earlier screenshot to warrant a new one. I used the test version of the 20x reticle that I traced from the Forgotten Weapons video screenshot to tweak the drag to fit the 800m chevron, which is why there's a bit more drag on this ammo.def entry than other 7.62mm NATO ammos (0.395 instead of between 0.41 and 0.422), then repositioned the other drops to fit the drag.

The drops on the 8x reticle were placed by trial and error to within half a pixel of perfect under lab conditions.

I need to do more play testing to solidify an opinion, but I'm pleased enough with the results, so far.

Edit, the last (?): I think I'm going to go with this one:

4x to 12x mag. with amber illumination on the 100m hash. Less blobby than the 8x version, and doesn't interfere with the HUD elements like the 20x.

It'll be fun.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SFOD_SCROME.jpg (114.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_SCROME_8x.jpg (358.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg SFOD_SCROME_12x.jpg (343.1 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 02-11-2024 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Just trying hard to get it right.