Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2023, 12:54 PM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

This video:

Is about the new SLx 1-6x24mm SFP Gen IV rifle scope from Primary Arms with an illuminated ACSS Nova fiber wire reticle. C_DOES is entertaining enough for an optic reviewer, so that was a plus, but you might know what I'm like by now, and the screenshots attached happened.

I'm not sure about this one, though. It's supposed to be 1-6x, but the version I drew up for 5x mag. (which makes things 600% bigger in game) was blurry and illegible. I have the M4 auto at 2x and semi at 9x. The thing is, if we accept a 1x optic at 2x in game, then 11x actually makes things 572% bigger than 2x.

I'll grumble over that for a while later, but I used a screen grab of C_DOES aiming at a cardboard silhouette in his basement, resized it to HUD grid width (1024px), traced the reticle, mounted it on the M4, and went up and down the zoom 'til I found a power that fit the 300m hash the best, and that was 9x. Then I redrew the whole thing again using math, and the results are displayed below.

If you watch that video, you'll also understand why I did up a new red dot for this one. It's not as strong as the video shows it should be, but it has flair! The first attachment shows the medium brightness, the rest are either low or high.

I don't believe the hashes are supposed to be a BDC, they're all one mrad apart, so they're mainly for ranging, but I edited the velocity and drag a bit, and at 990m/s, drag 0.372, (I find drag 0.273 to be best) 300m hits a little low, 500m is a tiny bit high, but the others are what I consider spot on. In the video, C_DOES calls the thick part of the line the taper, and I'll look that up later, but the lower taper as a 700m aimpoint also hits low.

I played one SP mission to test this, and I did okay.

Edit: Added screenshots of the 11x version, because of the fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiQ_Nova_2x_m_Day.jpg (341.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_Nova_9x_l_Day.jpg (325.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_Nova_2x_l_NVG.jpg (153.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_Nova_9x_h_NVG.jpg (178.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_Nova_2x_l_Night.jpg (315.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_Nova_9x_h_Night.jpg (258.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_Nova_11x_auto.jpg (365.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_Nova_11x_semi.jpg (325.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 03-22-2023 at 04:50 PM.