Thread: [DFBHD] Baldo's New M60 Sight
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2022, 02:36 AM
Baldo_the_Don is offline Baldo_the_Don

Basically, I drew this reticle for 20x mag. in the first version, and it's fun, but a bit much. Then I wanted to see if I could make it smaller. I could.

But the real challenge was using imperial units. I could probably tweak the various aimpoints a bit finer, but they are all zeroed in 100yd increments, rendering the metric range display on the HUD more or less unusable. The 200yd (183m) center dot elevation is locked by setting:

scope_max_zero 3 61 183 3

So there are three adjustments of 61m each, defaulting to 183m, and allowed no lower than the third adjustment. The other elevations were drawn and redrawn by trial and error, and a bit of velocity and drag tweaking (875 and 0.375, at the moment). They all hit within the white spot on the targets, but under lab conditions (no recoil, no error), they really all should be centered. Next round of tweaks, I guess.

The rangefinders and hashes are optimized for 5' 10" and 18" targets. The runner hold dots are 3' from center at 200yds. I don't know if that's where they are supposed to be for targets moving at 8.6mph, but I could not find actual blueprints for this reticle, so I winged it. Similarly, the outer horseshoe is also fudged, but the low points of the gap at the bottom are about 18" at 50yds, so that seems rightish for CQB purposes.

My best I understanding of the googling I did, this reticle is for 3x magnification, but at twice that in this screen shot, it's a barely legible mess, and I refuse to even attempt to make it smaller.

And I have to make the illumination green or it'll look stupid in the NVGs. But later, I'm tired now.

Edit: So, velocity 860, drag 0.375, moved a few pixels, changed a few colors, and I think this one's done. I don't hate it. I might even like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiQ_ACSSx5.JPG (291.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg WiQ_ACSSx5_2.jpg (233.5 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Baldo_the_Don; 10-11-2022 at 06:34 AM.