View Single Post
Old 04-30-2002, 11:48 PM
zza1pqx is offline zza1pqx

Send a message via ICQ to zza1pqx Send a message via Yahoo to zza1pqx
I am with Panther on this one.
There are NOT that many cheaters out there at all.
You may well see one or two in stats but I have honestly only ever seen two that I can be absolutley sure were cheats in public servers.
1) I saw a guy running very very very fast indeed.
2) A guy came into a game to practise using his rapid fire Barrett.

In the first instance the super fast dude was in with just me, him and a mate of mine. He was an atrocious DFLW player becasue despite his high running speed he stopped to use his M4MK sights. Every time he stopped I shot him in the head with my MAG. So that dealt with him!

In the second instance the bloke actually told everyone he had a rapid fire Barrett trainer. This initially caused a lot of concern and caustic reprimand from other players but as time went on we realised that he too was a poor player and that it didnt matter how fast he shot, he didn't see us coming from behind and in the end no one really minded.

The ONLY thing that has ever spoiled the game for me is when I am accused of cheating. There are hundreds and hundreds of people who cry cheat compared to a very very few who actually do cheat and herein lies the problem.

Any n00b coming into the forums etc now, thinks the cheating issue is massive. It makes sense then that in game, if they just don't know how someone is beating them so badly, that people assume a person is cheating.
What then happens is that they too come into forums and add to the debate, fueling the aggression toward what remains and always will be a miniscule minority.

It is no shock to me that when I am accused of cheating it tends to be allegations of aimbot. (Im a decent shot) Or
Invulnerability. (Game Lag and Spawn Armour).
Generally you can only truly tell a cheat once you are of a decent standard of player yourself.
I never ever hold any interest in a bad player crying cheat. They clearly don't know the game else they wouldn't be languishing in last place at ratios of 8-35, so how can they tell if someone is cheating?

Novalogic probably get (and here I am guessing) more e-mails and enquiries about anti-cheat patches now, than game improvement patches.

I'd like to see two things.
First patches that make it easier to see if a person is cheating or not, ie No blood when being shot during the 6 second spawn armour phase. (perhaps white flash)

Second I would like to see NW relinquish control of their stat servers. Similar to the initial idea posted here.

The main reason perhaps why Stat gain more than their share of cheats over public is because NW servers are not neccessarily admined by anyone with a passion for the game.

They could setup a system where top DF web sites or tournament organisers run and maintain the stat sites for them. Not Third party but as if it was their own server.

Why go into newbieDM when you could play in DFHQ.NETdm, run on NW servers with 50 people playing at maximum bandwidth - minimum lag, but run by someone well known in the DF community who is likely to want to watch over what is happening and punt/ban, with the ease that makes many good public servers so appealing?

The only argumant against this is that of cliques of people picking on others for the sake of it. An automatically run server is the only truly unbiased one, and I have seen posts in this very forum where influential community members publicly condem others without any real evidence to back up their allegations.
This is the main reason why it may not work perhaps.

Apologies for writing so much but its important that we all don't abandon our community over what is actually a small problem. In general cheats are rubbish players anyway and the game will remain fun if we all stop taking it so seriously. I have played in servers where people are abusive or could possibly be cheating and I find the most amusing thing to do is get everyone else to go get the undesirable.
Calls of 'ALL ON PANTHER' are always great fun, especially when the nutter leaves in a sulk.

On a side note and @ Panther. j/k about what I said just there. Plus this answer window is fantastic but doesn't give me much space to check where I am in my now almost legendarily over the top posts.