Novahq.net Forum

Novahq.net Forum (https://novahq.net/forum/index.php)
-   Gaming Talk (https://novahq.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=273)
-   -   Q&A: Steam Issues - NovaLogic game functionality (https://novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48302)

Guest001 09-04-2017 01:40 AM

Q&A: Steam Issues - NovaLogic game functionality

This thread is to try and debug some issues with Steam & NovaLogic game functionality.

Command-line arguments like /d no longer appear to be working in NovaLogic games purchased from Steam.

Anyone having problems with NovaLogic games or mods on Steam, please report them here...

Scott 09-04-2017 12:01 PM

Weird how the /d command won't work. I wonder if you have to add it into the steam launcher first for it to work?

A lot of people have issues with DF2, DFLW and DFTFD freezing when joining games. They need the VON fix.

Guest001 09-04-2017 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott (Post 387492)
Weird how the /d command won't work. I wonder if you have to add it into the steam launcher first for it to work?

A lot of people have issues with DF2, DFLW and DFTFD freezing when joining games. They need the VON fix.

They've altered the runtime somehow, a wrapper or coded internally?

A quick look shows some to be bigger in size, fortunately as a mapper, I don't have many NL games in Steam.

I think that means BHD on Steam won't run the WAC etc...

~BLÃÐE~ 09-06-2017 01:34 AM

the /d command still works in BHD JO and DFX2 with steam copies.

The biggest issue people are having is Win10 and DirectPlay not being enabled, you have to enable it for NW games to work

Quote:

Game not starting properly or giving errors is most times DirectPlay not being enabled, by default it is not enabled so lets enable it.

Right click the windows start menu icon and click "Search"
Type "turn windows feature on or off" and click "Turn Windows feature on or off" below "Best match"
Scroll down to "Legacy Components"
Click the "+" to the left of "Legacy Components"
Put a Tick in the box next to "DirectPlay"
Click OK and a window will appear, click close when done.

Scott 09-06-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~BLÃÐE~ (Post 387508)
The biggest issue people are having is Win10 and DirectPlay not being enabled, you have to enable it for NW games to work

I help people with this one the most. That and the VON fix.

Guest001 09-07-2017 11:50 PM

Well, that's strange because when I use the /d switch on DFX2 in Steam I'm getting a runtime error

~BLÃÐE~ 09-08-2017 12:38 AM

im using both of these
(space)/d (read from directory)
(space)/exp CM (read from expansion folder/ CM Mod)

Sometimes when i go to start the game with the exp/CM Mod extension it will lock up and give small black screen, i just open steam and start it from there, it will say it doesn't recognize it, click ok and it starts fine

Guest001 09-08-2017 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~BLÃÐE~ (Post 387520)
im using both of these

Sometimes when i go to start the game with the exp/CM Mod extension it will lock up and give small black screen, i just open steam and start it from there, it will say it doesn't recognize it, click ok and it starts fine

Thanks, that's a good description and an interesting one - the errors I get are a bit different - they show a dialogue describing something to do with the runtime but then again in my case I'm executing the commands from another app, perhaps a batch script will fix it.

Guest001 09-09-2017 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~BLÃÐE~ (Post 387520)
im using both of these

I've checked that out and it's just not ringing true across the board I'm afraid.

It may well be for some Modified games but I'm focusing on the current Steam versions of the game(s).

Thanks for your help.

Guest001 09-09-2017 02:34 AM

So far as some testing goes - all attempts have failed to get them to run from anywhere but steam.

I know it (Steam) can generate a desktop url (web document) to launch it's games and apps.

So, DFX2 launches with the argument inserted in the url but I'm going to have to muck about a bit more to get some conclusive answers as how well it's working - if at all.

steam://rungameid/32610 /d

Back later...

~BLÃÐE~ 09-09-2017 07:20 AM

no no delete the steam icon and make a new one from directory, try that

Guest001 09-11-2017 08:20 AM

Case Closed